1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help setting up DVD Player

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by rowd, May 27, 2006.

1. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

This should be a simple, no brainer task but,..................

1. purchased a new DVD/VHS player - Samsung DVD-V9500

2. Hooked up according to instructions in manual

3. trippled checked hook-ups and manual

4. pop in DVD and get sound but no picture and I can't pull up the MENU for the player from the remote. VHS works fine but still no menu.

5. called Samsung and got a tech who walked me thru the set-up and according to him my television needs to get the input signal on channel 01 or VHS 01 on the television menu.

6. The television is set to Cable 03 and VHS 01 and I still can't get a picture or Menu from the DVD machine.

W T F !! :banghead:

2. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

on the tv menu change from tv input to video input...or maybe an aux input....

what it sounds like is that you have it hooked up properly, but the input selected on the tv side is oncorrect..

3. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

You have multiple in jacks on back of tv? You have a diagram of the back of your tv anywhere you can find online to post? If it does, it will have line selection. You put each device into each jack in back...then turn tv to that line and the dvd player should be showing on the tv. Where's the online diagrams for these devices if you can find them...would make it much more easy.

Yeah on the remote for the tv there should be a line or input select button. Check tv manual for where to change that on the tv.

4. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Another simple thing you can try is hooking the device up through another device's video in jack. If it works that way then you at least knoe the dvd video works and to continue trying to tweak the tv setup. If still nothing then you can be rather sure you have a malfunctioning device.

5. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Mine did the same thing. It apparently isn't smart enough to know that when you put in a DVD, you actually want to output it to the TV. It turns on in the default mode to play tapes. I can't even access the DVD menu until I tell it, via remote or front panel, that I want it to be a DVD player.

6. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

Ok.............thanks all, I will try the various suggestions and let you know if any work.:blush:

................tried all suggestions. nothing. when I press the menu on the remote the tv goes black or acts like the signals plug got pulled with snow and white noise. the tv input is set to VHS1 .....the machine has no way of accessing the menu except thru the remote and I can't see what the DVD is set for internally because I can't access the menu cause the tv isn't getting the signal from the DVD:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I HATE TECHNOLOGY !!! MOTHER F#$$#%@##@$E#$!##!!#$#@#@!!!S:friggin:
    Catch 22

7. Violet1966

Rowd please find the manual online for the dvd player and your tv. And the vcr too won't hurt.

8. eakes

eakes Registered User

I assume you are using the S-video inputs on the TV. With the cables connected between TV and Combo unit and the TV set for S-video input, place combo in the stop mode and depress P.SCAN button until video is displayed on the screen.

9. Violet1966

Ok seeing as it's a combo unit...it's one set of rci cables going to back of tv? What's the model of the tv? There's got to be some stupid setting somewhere that just isn't right. Hooking up home theater stuff can drive you insane really fast and you usually wind up overlooking something very simple just out of brain exhaustion after the first hour of attempts. Here's the manual for the unit you bought. http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...9/20050913101859140_00742A_V9500_eng-0912.pdf

Now if we knew the remote on the tv and what the jacks are on the back...maybe someone will see what you might not be seeing. It's got to be something...some little thing being overlooked. :(

10. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

It's a universal remote that also controls the dish network. The TV is an RCA with no manual that I bought as a floor model from Best Buy a few years ago.
    I'll try eakes suggestion and see how it goes.........yeah the rca jacks are correct.....I trippled checked all connections. rca for the video and sound standard cable connections for the signal from the dish to the dvd to the TV.