1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on getting on a wireless network

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Allene, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

Well, gee, I could keep Bits and Bytes hopping for weeks with all my questions! I need to restore a network configuration or whatever you call it on my laptop. I had it set up for a place in town where I've been bringing my laptop to work on cataloging a small, private library.

The guy who helped me do it before is really too busy right now for me to bother him--in-laws visiting, heavy load of student teaching, etc., etc., so I don't want to bother him.

What is the routine to use? I plug my laptop in, but I need to get into their network to use the Internet on their premises. I don't know the correct search terms for what I need, so I can't look it up on the Internet.

Whatever needs to be done takes about five minutes. Unfortunately, he didn't tell me how he did it.
    I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium and Internet Explorer 9.

Thanks!

2. Greg

Greg Full Member

Windows 7: Lower right task bar just left of time display (perhaps 2nd icon left after speaker icon), looks like an ascending scale of about 5 bars, click it and you should see a list of available networks pop up. Pick the one you want to join and click "Connect."

You'll have to get more information if there's more than one network shown, or if it is secured (encrypted) in which case you'll need a password and possibly other information (i.e. security type -- IOW encryption method).

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks. I know where that is located. I'm on a LAN, but the network I was on to work in the private library is gone now. I know I have to go over there to set it up first. It was set up so that I didn't need to keep reinventing the wheel every time I went there.

. I

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

You can only connect when you are within reception distance. Once you're connected I think you'll have an option to reconnect automatically. Check that and you'll automatically connect whenever you're in range.

5. Greg

Greg Full Member

I observed a bit more Windows 7 behavior today... The task bar icon I was referring to is also the same icon that shows your wired (Ethernet) connection. It changes its appearance somewhat depending on whether you're jacked in or were jacked in the last time you connected. If you were connected via wiring last time you booted you'll see the "RJ-11" icon (you can see a depiction of an RJ-11 cable plug) but eventually it will give up and show the "WiFi" version of the icon, the 5 ascending bars.

If you get it set up right your laptop will automatically connect when you're in the range of your WiFi access point (unless you are already directly connected--I'm pretty sure Windows would always give preference to a wired connection if both exist, it only makes sense).

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, it does. The guy I know who set it up for me says it's okay at the other end. What I have to do will be very simple. Thanks.