1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a New Aorta? Hold On and I'll Just Print One Up

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

It would seem that the common inkjet printer may hold the key for some significant medical advancements.
    Story from CNN

2. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I wonder what this will do to the price of cartridges?

If this technology ever gets to the stage where the building of organs becomes possible, I'd have to agree with the rather witty conclusion of the article re Gutenburg's press.

3. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Pretty cool! Puts a whole new spin on the benefits of pirating, too... ;)

4. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Organs aside, there is a great shortage of replacement parts such as aortic valves. I know because I have a plastic one as the one I was born with started to leak or "regurgitate" badly and needed replacing.
    The three options I was offered were a pigs valve, human valve from a cadaver or a man made valve. The pigs valves only last a maximum of 10 years meaning another operation to replace it. Securing one from a cadaver, as Arnold Schwartzeneger did when he had his aortic valve replaced, is difficult as there are a shortage of hearts for transplants let alone for only using the aortic valve.

So I've got the man made version which is rather loud in it's functioning and its quite easy to hear it clicking as it opens and closes between heart beats. Thats no big deal but they tend to have clots form around them raising the chances of the clot releasing into your blood stream and a stroke ensuing. So there is the need to be on blood thinning medication for the rest of your days to prevent the clots forming with blood tests every couple of weeks to make sure the thinning level is at the appropriate level, about 2.5-3 times the normal level. Having this monitored is more of a nuisance than anything else.

Having the valves made from tissue has got some obvious benefits not the least of which is not having listen to yourself click and doing away with the need for the medication.

I hope the researchers have every success.

:)