1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[NBA] Staples Center Tonight

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Got tickets for the Lakers tonight...second row, center court. Some of the best seats in the house, or would be if they could only remember how to play hoop ;) Since they're playing Orlando, it might just be a gimme.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

That's one sport I can not get in to.

Isn't the entire game decided like in the last 20 seconds (which last an 1 hour in real time)?

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Coot, with a seat like that, you'll probably be on TV! I was a Utah Jazz fan for years. Now that we've moved to the Northwest, I'm thinking of rooting for Seattle but will have to wait until we move into our house in the next week or so and get a dish. It would be very hard to turn me into a Laker fan after all the years I spent booing them during Jazz games. :)

Allene

4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Well, you sure don't want to root for Portland... hahahaha! Criminals...

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Copzilla,

My sentiments exactly! Some people have trouble staying out of trouble. I'm not crazy over Sacramento either, so it all boils down to Seattle, the only team in the Pacific I feel reasonably neutral about, and they aren't doing too badly. Are you a Houston fan?

Allene

6. Coot

Excellent game tonight!! The real Lakers finally showed up. McGraddy and Grant Hill go their come uppins and their smack downs ;) Lakers win 107-84. The Lakers were still a little clumsy with the ball handling, but Fischer was hot on the 3's, Fox's defense is picking up and Kobe and Shaq were finally playing like last year. Robert Horry still looked to be caked in rust though. All in all a good night and they won all 4 quarters.

The seats were awesome, we sat about 5 feet from Jack Nicholson, whom I spent a brief few minutes chatting about the Lakers with and right next to some boy band singer that used to 'date' Brittney Spears...Justin something or other.

Man, it just won't be the same going back to my regular seats 9 rows back from floor level.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

Coot,

After I sent you that message I thought of Jack Nicholson. Wow! You were certainly in celebrity land. Sounds like the Lakers were their old selves again.

Allene

8. Copzilla

Mmmmm, the jury's still out. I'm kind of aggravated at basketball right now, with the Allen Iverson / Dennis Rodman punk syndrome. It has no entertainment value to me to see someone with cornrows and tatoos spit on people.

I like the Houston guys alright, they have class and style, so I'm kind of keeping tabs without being an outright fan. They may win me back.

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

I know what you mean! Dennis Rodman was the pits, but I haven't heard much about him lately, and Allen Iverson is about as conceited as you get, which is saying a lot in the NBA. I thought the Jazz were one of the classier teams--they played good, old-fashioned basketball--but I think this is the last season for both Stockton and Malone, and Hornacek has been gone for several years now.

Allene

10. Coot

There's a spate of players I'd rather not see on the courts...you can add Latrelle Sprewell and Rashid Wallace to the mix as well. All in all though, I enjoy the NBA more than the NFL and I was a HUGE Houston Oiler's fan for many years.

11. Allene

Allene Registered User

Oh, I cannot stand those two either!!!!! It's such an exciting game, though, and the only sport I watch on TV. When I was growing up in Canada, I loved hockey, especially Montreal.

Allene

12. Copzilla

Ahhhhhh, I dunno... Malone got a nasty reputation over the last 2 or 3 years as being a dirty player. Maybe someone who was a fan didn't think much of it, but here in Houston, we got a good dose of Malone. He hated Olajuwon because Hak and company derailed his only decent shot at a title, and he put Hakeem in the trainer's room with elbows to the eyes more than once. And he flops like a trout for someone as big and strong as he is. There's a running joke around here that if Malone and David Robinson every tapped in a game, just roll the ambulance into the stadium and get 'em both.

Then there was the famous Jazz zone defense that every team saw... Not that other teams didn't pick their spots to fudge a little, but the Jazz are no choirboys... LOL!

Players I DO like... Mike Bibby... Steve Francis... Cuttino Mobley... Jason Kidd... More basketball and less chatter...

13. Coot

Yep...Mike Bibby really stepped up last year. Henry's boy can definitely play....must be in the genes ;)

14. Allene

Allene Registered User

Copzilla,

Malone wasn't my favorite Jazz player. I agree, his elbows are notorious in the NBA, and I remember the time he sent Robinson to the hospital. He also spent too much time whining to the media. Over the last couple of years I got very tired of him. My favorite was the now-departed Hornacek, followed by John Stockton. I've heard complaints that John plays dirty too, but at least he doesn't have Malone's fat head.

Allene

15. Copzilla

Hornacek was one of those blue collar players that every team has to have in order to win... Doesn't get paid a ton, doesn't complain, when you need that killer 3, he's there, and he lays it all out there every night.

He did for the Jazz what Mario Elie did for the Rockets, and what Horace Grant did for the Bulls. Put on his hardhat and go to work every day. And he's a nice guy to boot.

16. Allene

Allene Registered User

Copzilla,

You've got Horney down pat! I liked him the very first time I laid eyes on him. He came from the same blue-collar background I did. He had "good person" written all over his honest face, and he was a joy to watch at the basket! That team was never the same after he left. Attendance at home games dropped significantly with Horney's departure. In fact, I stopped watching them in mid-season last year because Malone was getting on my nerves. If we could clone Horney and those other guys you mentioned, the NBA would be the better for it.

Allene