1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Navy and Marine Air Wings to Merge

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Biker, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

It seems the budget crunch has forced the integration of Marine and Naval Air Wings which promises to make some major changes in the thinking and "culture" of the both services.

Read about it <a href="http://www.afa.org/magazine/Dec2002/1202wings.asp" target="bank">here</a>.

2. jamming

jamming Banned

There is also other cost savings been proposed and more "jointness". Putting a Marine Boarding team on Cruisers and Destroyers, is one. Presently only Marines serve Shipboard on the bigger ships in the Navy. We have two goals presently more bang for the buck, and feel their needs to be an increase in Reserve and National Guard Units, to offset this down sizing. We will need people who are able to assist in larger actions without all the ramp up needed for training. Leave the tricky operations to the those who volunteer for Professional Service, but our Reserves need more depth.

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

With the complexity of the operations that we're seeing more and more of, should we also consider more training for our Reserve and Guard folks? Seems one weekend a month is barely enough to keep one's skills honed.

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

As a former Reservist and also served in the NJ National Guard for a few months until I found another Reserve unit to go back into, I can somewhat agree.

I served in a Reserve Armor unit back in the late 80's right before the Bagdad Bash. We prided ourselves on being one of TWO Reserve units to actually HAVE Armor. The rest belonged to National Guard units.

(anyone who has served in the Reserves KNOWS that you do not like to be considered a "weekend warrior/National Guardsman" rofl )
    After Graham/Rudman.. My "home" Unit was disbanded, and turned into a truck driving unit, and I since had enough years in I did not re-enlist.( The Army's loss of a highly trained Tank Commander did not seem to phase anyone!)
    What the "intelligent" powers to be did was give N.G. units Armor, even though, having been in one, N.G. units cannot afford to spend the monies NEEDED to train like a full Reserve unit can and did.

Out of the 5 N.G. units I had first hand experience dealing with at the National Training Center preparing to be "sent' over to the Gulf, not ONE of them PASSED the needed qualifications to be sent into a COMBAT situation!

However, I know for a FACT that MY unit, which by the way was held back in the states because our main mission was Korea, would have EASILY passed Tank Table 8 and all of the BASIC combat scenarios that were put to those failing N.G. units.

One Company Commander from a N.G. unit was tossed out of the Army simply because while he was out hunting for deer in the Mojave desert, he came upon a broke-down Tank, and asked the crew "You see any deer around here?" When he was told they would need a mechanic, since their M-1 was dead in the water/no power, and possiblty food and water, since they were there for 2 days, he only "remembered" them when he was called into the Colonel's office to be asked why he had not reported then 3 days later! (That would be 3 days later that I found the near dead crew in the desert heat when I drove by myself in my Hummer!)

But I digress....

Yes, I also felt that our "weekend excursions" did not seem like enough training, but as a Reservist in one of the Armys FINEST Reserve Armor Units, I was almost guaranteed NO sleep between the hours of 7:30PM on a Friday night, until approximately 4-5PM on Sunday.

We trained HARD.(Fight like you train, and train like you fight!) Constant maneuvers and action drills day AND night kept us on our toes, where as when I showed up to my Temp N.G. unit the first time, I was packed for a weekend stay, after driving for 2 hours to get there, only to find out that
    1. There were NO quarters/bunks in the Armory.
    2. these slackers went HOME at 4:30 PM, and I ended up sleeping in my truck in 20+ degree weather in January!
    3. even though they were considered an Armor unit, their tanks were another 100 miles away at Ft. Dix (which btw was closer to MY home) and only got to see them TWICE a year!
    I got out of THAT clusterfuck QUICK!

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

M1,

Cool story, dude--for a tanker, anyway. Thanks!

SM

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I always knew the Navy and Marines wanted to merge. Why do they have Marines on Navy ships? So the sailors can have somebody to dance with!

7. jamming

jamming Banned

No Shiny, they need someone to carry the bags :)

8. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Wait a minute...the USMC is part of the Department of Navy. They're already unified...just in different command silos!

SM

9. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Sometimes, it's hard to tell just who the bellhops are ;)