1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NATO: 'Moral Obligation' to U.S.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

From CNN.com:

It's pretty funny, but Lord Robertson is perhaps the only hawk in all of Europe. He must have a very aggravating job.

Read all about it at "Moral Obligation"

SM

2. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

While I like Lord Robertson's politics, I would like some clarification as to exactly what moral value he feels is endangered by NATO allies not backing the US.

3. aedumo

aedumo Veteran Member

Simply put, the moral obligation is that we saved, and then defended europes ass for 50+ years. and now we might need there help for some mopping up and occupation(peacekeeping) duties. its the least they could do

4. Domh

Domh Full Member

ah good to see the guy with the hypnotic avatar made it over here...

*whoa... i feel faint*

;)

5. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

is repayment for past services really a moral issue though? I agree that they should support us, but morals are so subjective that I really dislike any political leader speaking of moral obligations.

nice avatar btw :p

6. aedumo

aedumo Veteran Member

putting it that way raven, yeah , i agree, a politician talking about morals is like a priest counseling a sex addict.

7. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Yeah, all politicians are immoral... All priests are sexual perverts... and all Democrats are Liberals. ;)

8. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Actually, Lord Robertson is doing whatever he can to energize the European contingents of NATO to build up their militaries. He himself is a faithful ally of US military policy, which is that Europe be strong on its own. But the welfare states of the EU won't buy into it, so this is why he's playing the morals harpsichord.

SM

9. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

You're right about one of the three.

10. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Hey next time Europe has another European mess like the Balkins/Bosnia/the Serbs in Kosovo et. al. and they need to hire a cop because they are too cheap or too politically cowardly to clean up their own mess they will call us again. So supporting us is quid pro quo!