1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National Geographic outside your window

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mikeky, Nov 12, 2002.

1. mikeky

mikeky Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/12/science/life/12COUG.html
    Have we become so enamored by the message that "nature is always good" that we have forgotten that nature can also be deadly? At what point do we realize that perhaps we can't co-exist safely with predators and territorial animals like mountain lions, bears, etc., that are protected and, in some cases, even reintroduced to certain areas? What price (how many deaths) are we willing to pay to have National Geographic outside our window?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

What an excellent post and a great issue, Mike!

I think with all of the PR with PETA and the rest of the tree huggers, people tend to re-think exactly what nature is. But what is nature? Nature is not National Geographics outside your window but free roaming carnivores that are programmed to survive. They are free thinking animals that would do and act any way they want in order to appease their pride. It's where human "civilization" clashes with the wild.

The Hillers were very fortunate and lucky that no one got hurt...yet.

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Luck sometimes saves fools from their own stupidity.

4. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

I, for one, hope we're willing to pay 'many'.
    What's many? 1, 5, 10, 20, 100?
    Will we ever accept any number?

We humans absolutely 'rule' on this planet. We've eliminated how many other species? 50%?
    We're doing so well that about 30,000 of our children die of starvation, every day.

We either need to learn to live with (or, at least appreciate) 'nature', or, just shoot the lion, for having the arrogance that it can exist with humans in the area.

I'm off to sight in my deer rifle, for next week, so I'm not easily classified as an 'annimal lover'.
    But, it just distresses me to see how we humans have treated the other species on this planet.

Regards,

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Thank God it was only a mountain lion. When National Geographic is involved, it could have been a lot worse...like, say, a troupe of topless pygmies outside.

SM

6. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

ROTFLMAO
    Steve,
    You are the most irreverent, down to earth, sob I've come across in recent years.
    Good post.
    Thanks,

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Maybe we shouldn't be building houses in the woods just to have the luxury of going hiking in the backyard.

We are invading their space, and to think we deserve their space more than they do is wrong.

I live in Orlando, and my house currently lies in the outskirts of Orlando - by today's standards. I'm sure this time in 3 years, I'll be smack dab center Orlando judging by the way the urban growth is going on here - we're the 2nd fastest growing city in the country, I believe 3rd year in a row.

If you come to my house, you HAVE to be careful - we have bears and bobcats here. If you walk at night, you better have a stick - you don't know when you're going to need it to defend yourself against a hungry animal. We have an alligator (a baby right now) that lives in my complex's lake - the residents here gave him the name "Charlie"... Charlie got here because the Econ river is right behind the complex - how long is Charlie going to remain a 'pet'? I'm hoping someone will have the sense to take him and place him BACK in the river, where he belongs, so he can continue to swim off to a much larger lake, where he belongs, before he eats the neighborhood's first dog (or worse, child)... Before he get's too big.

Sucks I had to buy a house in newly claimed land - hell, just about 5 miles from us, you can see wild deer, and I sorta ran over an alligator a few weeks back when going to my mom's house (I feel REALLY bad about that, too, but I couldn't avoid it). BUt the fact remains I am intruding on THEIR LAND.

My beef is how land developers don't take the time to move the animals out. Instead they come in and start BURNING trees. In the process, they kills hundreds of resident animals. There ought to be a law.

8. mikeky

mikeky Member

I don't necessarily buy that it's their land. The population grows, and the areas necessary for housing, etc., are getting larger. It comes down to homes for animals, or homes for people. I think homes for people must win out, and with that, unfortunately, predatory animals must go, unless we want house pets (or worse) to become food.

What to do to ensure survival of these predators? Set wildlife areas aside, and restrict us from invading what will truly be their land. But don't try to make these predators co-exist; in the long run, both they and their neighbors lose.