1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NAS Died. Long live the NAS!

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by MemphisMark, Feb 27, 2016.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Okay, so my Seagate NAS bit the dust and wouldn't mount to the network. I am in the process of making an Ubuntu Boot USB so I can capture the data (the hard drive spins up). Thanks to my usual level of paranoia, this is an inconvenience rather than a catastrophe.

I am probably going to get a WD My Cloud as an interim NAS, however, I am looking to build a RAID 3 or 5 Network server so if a HD craps out, I'm not taking a trip on this boat again.

So, I am asking for suggestions:
    Win Server/Linux?
    HDD/SSD?

The dead NAS is a 3 TB, so just for future capacity, I am considering 5-10 TB.

I might also make it a web server for my several websites. Would that change the specs?

2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Do yourself a favor and punch yourself in the balls rather than getting ANYTHING HD Cloud related.

I had a 3TB HD Cloud that never worked as advertised, was slower than shit and cost me many years of sanity off my life in the several months I fought with it before I finally tossed it in a closet after then trying to get it to work with my iMac which they allegedly say they support it working with Firmware updates only made things worse over time and I had rolled it back to default just to get my data off..

I went with a Synology 2 disk bay (Was $199 when I got it, but they have similar still as well as better multi-bay ones)

Amazon.com: Synology Disk Station 2-Bay Network Attached Storage (DS215j): Amazon Video

And 2 3TB drives setup mirrored (you can throw larger drives in here as well)

....And never looked back.

MemphisMark likes this.
  3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Synology is very good with lots of solutions for the home. Some of those solutions will set you back a penny or two, but they're well worth the cost depending on what you're looking to do.

4. MemphisMark

Yeah, the Seagate was slower than molasses in January most times. Thanks for the warning.

5. MemphisMark

Well, THAT was a fun three days.

I had to make a bootable Ubuntu DVD, then boot into Ubuntu and go through multiple commands in Terminal to mount the drive (I have a IDE/SATA to USB adapter), then copy the 2 TB of files off the NAS drive onto other drives I have. Considering I ran out of space half way through, I had to go back into Windows, copy about 1TB of stuff to other drives I keep off-line when not needed to make room for the last files, then repeat the Ubuntu experience.

I now have it formatted NTFS and I just checked if my desktop could take it as an additional drive. It can't, it's a mini-tower and has room for one drive, unless I find an adapter bracket to replace the DVD drive with it.

I am also thinking of re partitioning it again (System/Data A/Data B) into multiple partitions, then making a clone of the primary drive and just physically swapping drives.

Any suggestions for a good (free) utility that clones drives?

6. Biker

7. MemphisMark

Okay, I cloned my 320GB HDD to my 3,000GB drive. The four partitions copied over, however about 2.2TB has "disappeared." I have partitions of 13.67GB (recovery), 100MB (System Restore), 142GB (C:\), 142GB (D:\) and 448GB (Unallocated).

Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management reports that the 3,000GB hard drive only reports 746GB.

I think I'm going to have to delete all partitions and try again.

8. Biker

9. MemphisMark

I used Clonezilla to replicate the drive a second time, it still only showed 746GB total available.

GParted says I can only have four partitions. So, I deleted the Recovery partition (it's on the original drive if I need it) and cut the 2.7 TB free into a 700GB and a 2TB partitions.

Windows started up into System Recovery (Windows failed to start) and Startup Repair is attempting repairs....

10. MemphisMark

Screw it. I've decided to use this to externally mount the 3TB drive. It's cheaper to get this than to get an internal bracket to displace the DVD drive and purchase an external DVD burner.

11. MemphisMark

The external mount came today (Sunday!!!) and it was nothing to setup and install.

I spent more time rearranging plugs on the back of my UPS to get their power brick into a plug than to set up the rest of it.

I thought this was an enclosure; it's not. The drive looks like a slice of toast in a toaster:

[​IMG]

It's meant to be hot-swappable. It's like my Unitek SATA/IDE Converter, where I can plug a hard drive in and it acts like an external USB, just more of a permanent yet temporary setup.