1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name Change Option

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Jan 14, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am, of course, talking about the store option to buy a new custom title for any member.

We split and move posts that are inflammatory to UiF, I don't see why this would not be applicable to custom title changes.

Since the issue sprung up, and tested (which is one of those things you learn from) I think it would be a great idea for any changes that happen to any member will be reviewed. If it's offending to the member, and the member does not take it with humor this option was installed for, the title will be changed by one of the moderators back to whatever it was prior to the change.

1. This will eliminate anyone throwing a hissy fit, storming out of the forum, and re-registering under a new name.

2. This will keep intact the reason that store option is there from the inception. To have fun, to poke fun at people.

3. I doubt this option would have been abused by Btdude and/or Haywire. His intent was to poke fun and not waste 3000 dollars on something that would have made someone leave. Am I wrong? Based on the multiple posts here, I think not.

And finally, if you can't have fun, you won't and not just with this feature but with the upcoming arcade and other ideas I have. Those that do want to use this feature for fun, will continue to have that option. I am not sacrificing fun for the abuse factor. But perhaps rules should have been stated from the get-go.

So from now on, if you want to give someone a custom title and you are not sure how it will be taken, fire off a pm and ask them if it's ok to poke some fun. If the user is receptive, great, if not, you will know not to waste your 3,000 dollars.

Those that know how the poke will be taken need not to do that, of course. I doubt if Steve did this to me with ANY titles, I'd get pissed, and vice versa. If I were to do something similar to Leopoldo, for example, I think he would tell me to #@#@ off and leave the forum, which defeats the purpose of the option.

If at any time anyone wants to change my title to anything they wish, you have my permission (pending there's no reference to my family in a bad way :)).

Until then, the issue is up for discussion, but I am pretty sure this is the way I will go.

2. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Fair enough I reckon.

3. jamming

jamming Banned

Steve, Steve, that Leon character is back....Go get Ethics this guy is trying to be like him ;)

4. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Sir,
    Does not the fact that this 'feature' has generated so much controversy, in many various threads, give you pause?
    Sure, you can continue to justify it with the refrain of, 'it's all in fun'.
    But, many folks seem to equate it to something like a sponsored flame.
    Degrees of humor, or not withstanding.
    Differences on levels of tolerence, or not withstanding.

I simply wonder; why create controversity when there's no need?
    A nobel idea. As many are.
    But, there arrives a time to, perhaps, let it go.
    (too devisive, for zero gain).

But, it's your shot, of course.
    The entertainment value (abet, perhaps, in UiF) is not to be underestimated. ;)

Regards,

5. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

OK, you guys can change mine to anything you want as well. Hell, It wont even cost you 3000. Now for the bargain price of 600 GA dollars, you can put whatever you want in there. If there is more than one, the high bidder wins. I will keep it at whatever you want until I get a higher bidder. I will leave yours up for a minimum of 2 weeks. Any takers?

wapu

6. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Leon, I concur with your opinion on the matter. I didn't think it would have ever been an issue as I had always believed that the people here were mature enough to deal with it and to not even attempt to put a title that would purposely offend a member here (even to or from HaYwIrE). Although the Hayman may annoy or offend people at times, he does have a sense of humor and has been a great countributor in the Techie forum. Was I wrong?

7. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Thank you, Leon Ethics hehe I am happy that you provided clarity to this.

8. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Leon, I just wanna know what the hell your avatar is drinking. That's been the most pressing question on my mind for months now, but I know you're a tremendous bukkake fan, and I was frankly afraid to ask before.

SM

9. ethics

Jesus, you freak.

It's an oldie I put up before Thanksgiving of a man trying to eat a whole turkey. :p

10. Domh

Domh Full Member

wait, wait - steve is jesus? i thought he was haywire...

;)

11. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Oh! I thought it was a big cup! :haha:

What, you think Jesus is a freak now? Curse you, you Godless former denizen of the SU!

SM

12. Sam

Sam Cute and cuddly!

I tried switching mine to Mrs. Copz before I ever posted, so people would know who I was, by logging in as a new member and it wouldn't let me because of the same e-mail address.

So I am just trying to clarify that I can change it after I get enough $???

13. ethics

Absolutely. :)