1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N. Korea Pulls Out of Non-Proliferation Treaty

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mikepd, Jan 9, 2003.

1. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

As reported by CNN:

"SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- North Korea has announced its withdrawal from the nuclear non-proliferation treaty, according to the official North Korean news agency monitored in Seoul.

But the secretive communist state said it has no intention of developing nuclear weapons, despite the pullout."

Full text of the CNN story here:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/01/09/nkorea.crisis/index.html

This adds a new twist to the story. Is N. Korea just ratcheting up the ante before sitting down with the U.S. to discuss ways to pull back or are they serious? What is on the Dear Leader's mind?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

More bluffing.

Reminds me of a kid who just couldn't get his way. He ups the ante.

3. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Dear Leader is truly unpredictable. If he feels he cannot get his way, he might just decide to pull a Gotterdammerung. Time will tell.

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Indeed, indeed. Still, it's more like icing on the cake. It's an infantile move, and one that's unlikely to garner a lot of respect amongst the international community.

SM

5. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Let me see if I have this right...N. Korea is pulling out of a treaty they were never abiding by in the first place...does this just about sum it up?

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

LOL - nice summary

7. MJF

MJF Amphibious Member

The consensus is that they have already made at least two nuclear weapons prior to this lateast threat. The fact that Bush has included them as charter members of the "Axis of Evil" certainly caused them concern. By making this preemptive move, they will develop 5 or 6 more nucear weapons for their stockpile. Their thinking may be that this will certainly discourage Bush from moving in on N. Korea after he is done with Iraq.

After they boost the stockpile they will sit down and talk. They will get more economic incentives and assistance to build a few more light water nuclear power plants.

It's a bold move but not a reaction one couldn't expect.

In the meantime, it's a hot spot and should not be ignored. We have never done well negotiating with N. Korea. This is a big test for Bush.

8. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Still laughing over this one.. Hee hee hee

9. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

LOL...just forwarded that to some pals in the PRC...

SM