1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My SUV? I Don't Think So

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Whatever your stand on Global Warming...whether you think it's happening or not, whether you accept the theory and dispute the data, or if you accept it or reject it 100%, one thing should be getting your attention...Indonesia. The burning peat bogs in Indonesia...as a result of slash and burn, is resulting in an increase of atmospheric carbon to the tune of 40% of the CO2 contributed by all the fossil fuel burning vehicles in the world. Story Here.

2. jamming

jamming Banned

That doesn't even come close to the output that Europe use to do when they heated with wood, coal, and charcoal.

3. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

The burning peat is an amazingly large contributor to the annual polltuion on the planet. The other surprise is the contribution of cows farting which has been discussed previously as I recall. The slash and burn is what the environmentally minded riase concerns about but this altest bit of news on the peat will shock a lot. What do the Indonesians do about it? Continue to slash and burn!

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

One of the reasons why the US didn't sign the Koyto treaty.

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Absolutely. I remember one time in March 2000 when I was in Singapore, and the skies were filthy with all that burning going on in Indo.

SM