1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My PS 1 Conclusions

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by btdude, Jan 2, 2003.

1. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

I do believe I have finally reached the end of the playable RPG games that PS 1 has to offer. All the really good ones in any series that I play, have now jumped over to PS2 or those "other" boxes.

I do not need to dvd capabilities of the PS2. Convince me what is the good in switching, OK in upgrading to the PS2? Final Fantasy, Zelda, Metal Gear, Parasite Eve, ETC., are some of my faves. :nut:

2. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

If you're not in a big hurry to upgrade, wait for the PS3. It should be out in another year or 2.

PS2 has lots of cool games. Tons and tons and tons. Whatever you want, it's out for PS2 (except Halo and the Dead or Alive series). There's also lots of Tom Clancy games, which are kinda boring if you're not into that sort of thing, but I've been told by people who are that they are the best ever.

I think we'll just wait for the PS3 ourselves, since we've already got the Xbox. Gamecube has cool games too, so if you want to get these newer games, check to see if they're out for Gamecube. A lot of them are - I was surprised to see the new Mortal Kombat out for Gamecube.

3. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Summoner (2 separate releases now available) is likely one of the best RPG's I've seen on PS2. It is based on D&D and I found it quite fun to play. Lots of melee and magic.

Depending on the game genre you prefer here are a few others I suggest :

Mortal Kombat (does my avatar show any bias? )
    Metal Gear Solid
    Gran Turismo
    Jak and Daxter

You will find the graphics far superior and the PS2 will also play all your PS1 games as well as music CD's and DVD's.

4. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Don't forget, also, that the ps2 now has a network adapter - it's a bitch to find, but it's worth getting. You can play many games online. Doesn't have the nifty headset like Xbox, but who cares? You can still play (that headset is annoying unless you're playing in a game with friends, anyway).
    If you need help getting the network adapter, let me know. I was able to get it from the Circuit City website, delivered, for 42 bucks. There are other stores, like gamestop, that are trying to sell it for 60 - don't buy it. The MSRP is 39.99, and you CAN find it at that price, it's just a little harder to do.

5. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

hmmmmmm online games, eh? OK that part sounds good. LOL

I do like Metal Gear, Mid.

6. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

BT,

Strongly suggest asking in the Comcast Forum at BBR about online performance of the PS2.

I remember reading that the 128 upload cap causes serious problems. Rumor does have it the upload will be raised to 256 which seems to eliminate the performance issue.

7. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

One more thing...if online gaming interests you look to your PC as it holds the key to MANY great online games, but that's another thread :)

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Actually, for online, I WOULD recommend the PC. :)

9. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I personally prefer gaming on the PC myself. I'd rather spend $200 to upgrade my video card, or sound card and speakers on my PC than to get a console...

10. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

SIGH. Yep. I have considered the whole realm of PC online gaming. My issue is this: I hate typing and fiddling with the mouse unless I have to. That's why I suck in a chat room. LOL I am probably wrong, but when I think of PC games, I think old DOS days when the Function key and the number keys and the arrow keys had to be used. Leave it to me to hit the wrong key in a game, and screw it up. "Least with a console, I have, what, only 8 choices? LOL

Mid: 256 up, eh? hmmm That helps. I just upgraded the RAM to 512

11. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

BT, try it.

You will be surprised how quickly your mind adapts to your motor skills.