1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new toy: Zacurate Pro Series 500DL Fingertip Pulse Oximeter (product review)

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Susan Addams, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Left Coast Fiscal Conservative

I picked this up on Amazon for under $20, no tax, free (Prime) shipping. From the manufacturer's site:

The newly upgraded Zacurate 500DL Pro Series Fingertip Pulse Oximeter can now read SpO2 up to 100%! Designed for sports enthusiasts, pilots or anyone who wants to obtain their SpO2 (Blood Oxygen Saturation Levels) and PR (Pulse Rate) on the go.

I saw one at my doctor's appointment when he used it on me, it clips on any finger and gives you your blood oxygen saturation and pulse rate. Kewl! :D I shot a pic with my cell just curious how many hundred dollars this little puppy costs and was astonished it was under $20. What do I need it for? Well honestly I can't think of a reason at the moment. It's kewl? ;)

It might be interesting to take it on my workouts and see if my blood oxygen level drops when I hit the treadmill hard.

Seriously I just bought it as a toy. I can't think of any Earthly reason why I would need it. Maybe I'll carry it in my purse and tell guys it's a portable lie detection system. Yeah! That's what I'll use it for! LOLOL!!! :D

By the way it comes in Mystic Black, Royal Purple, Blushing Pink (that's me!!!) and Sapphire Blue. I can accessorize! :D

more information: Zacurate® 500DL Pro Series Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
  2. Susan Addams

I'll have some new medical/fitness products coming up and have decided to piggyback them into this topic. I've always enjoyed great health but sometimes contemplate that my health is so great that my interest in being an active woman and leading a healthy lifestyle has contributed to my "luck" at being healthy. And of course being young helps too, but I believe that your youth is when you set the stage for what is to come later in your life. Get a good beginning and you are likely to have good middle years and enjoy good health and spirits in your elder years. As a psychologist (okay I have just a B.A. degree) you should know that psychological studies (real ones, accepted peer reviewed scientific papers) show that old age is often the happiest time of life for many. Just to add my own bit, I believe that does not come free. I believe that you must work your entire life to ensure that your final years are happy ones, and if you put your full enthusiasm and efforts into leading a happy and productive life that you will likely join the ranks of old timers who are also having the greatest time of their life!

Yes of course my pulse oxymeter is just a toy, a gadget I bought to amuse myself. I don't need to know my SpO2 and my Fitbit tells me my bpm. (BTW I see my Fitbit Alta HR is being way more than a gadget or gimmick, not a toy like the oximeter.)'

I went shopping last night (woo hoo!) from bed using my iPad's Amazon Store app and ordered the following health and fitness items. I can't review them yet because due to the holidays and heavy shopping demands of the season they won't be here until mid/late next week, but here is a sneak preview.

Even if the specific products don't make the grade I'll just return them and get different brands. So here is my take from last night...
  3. Susan Addams

Wifi Smart Connected Body Fat Bathroom Scale by Weight Gurus, Backlit LCD, ITO Conductive Surface Technology, Accurate Precision Health...

This product impressed me because it connects directly to your WiFi system and they say your app doesn't have to be running to automatically maintain records of your weight including body fat percentage and BMI. (I was sleepy, I think that's what they said.) I note that they it's compatible with my Fitbit, we'll see how much of a real feature that is, or whether they meant merely that my Fitbit wouldn't explode when I step on the scale.

Here is the description from Amazon's product page:

Weighing in should be the easiest part of your workout, which is why our signature smart scale is designed to transfer your results automatically over Wi-Fi—no phone needed. After setup, just step on to sync your results and share them with your favorite apps. High-precision sensors give you accurate numbers that help you see how you’re meeting your goals.

View your progress in the free Weight Gurus app, which is also designed for use with your favorite apps. App is for iOS & Android devices only. Scale is compatible with 802.11b/g/n-2.4 GHz Wi-Fi networks.

Measures weight plus body fat, BMI, muscle mass, water weight, and bone mass. Extra-large, backlit LCD screen. Scale calibrates itself automatically—just step on to weigh yourself, and the scale will turn off after you finish. Auto user detect supports up to 8 different users. Non-slip, scratch-resistant feet. 4 precise weighing sensors ensure a resolution of +/- 0.2 lb/0.1 kg. Large, tempered glass weighing surface holds up to 400 lbs. 4 AAA batteries included. NOTE: Do not use if you have a pacemaker or another medical electronic implant, or are pregnant. Not indicated for use by children under 10 years of age.

COST: $70 at Amazon, other sellers YMMV
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  4. Susan Addams

Digital Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor Wrist - Large Screen Display - Clinically Accurate & Fast Reading - FDA Approved - BPM-337 by iProvèn (BPM Wrist)

My blood pressure is fine now but it's important enough a statistic that my doctor measures it on every visit so I think it's a good item to have in your own medical collection to augment your fist aid supplies.

I like that it appears simple to use, can store multiple readings, and features a technology that takes the readings on the way up rather than ramping up to maimum and then slowly deflating as it listens for the first signs that blood flow has resume, which is the way a traditional sphygmometer is used.

LIGHTNING FAST - The Measuring During Inflation method (MDI) and the NEWEST technology make this Digital Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor Lightning Fast, Pain-Free and Highly Accurate.

ACCURATE READING - Clinical Accurate Readings on the Large LCD Screen will give you the systolic and diastolic blood pressure and heart rate readings with ease. Get the same consistency as in your doctor’s office.

STORE YOUR READINGS - With the built-in memory function you can recall the last 60 readings.

REAL AHA INDICATION - Using the exact same 5 color indications as the American Heart Association

When you ORDER TODAY, you’re protected by a 100 day, no-questions asked money back guarantee and world class customer service.

The iProvèn BPM 337 has a new and improved algorithm for irregular heartbeat detection and flawless performance. Just one click away from a Blood Pressure measurement, press and go, it's that easy!

This small take-with-you blood pressure monitor not only reads upper blood pressure (Systolic),
    lower blood pressure (Diastolic) and the heartbeats per minute... but also tells you if your heart rhythm is irregular and gives the benchmark indication of your AHA level.

The AHA chart is published and standardized by the American Heart Association
    and helps you understand how healthy your blood pressure is.

The BPM-337 indicates the REAL colors of the AHA chart not just 4 of them.
    So no more guessing what your numbers mean.

Furthermore, it will help you keep track of your health trends thanks to the easy to access memory mode.

Works as easy as this:

● Sit near a table.
    ● Remove bracelets or watch.
    ● Place the cuff.
    ● Relax for a minute.
    ● Press the start button.
    ● Wait 30 seconds.
    ● And know your blood pressure as well as your AHA level and your hearthrate.

COST: $25 at Amazon, other sellers YMMV
  5. Susan Addams

AccuraPro NEW Infrared Forehead Thermometer - FDA Approved - Medical Non-Contact Hygienic and Silent for Babies Adults Dementia Patients and Caregivers

Of course besides having a well equipped first aid kit a thermometer is probably the most inportant and first medical device that any household should have.

There are plenty of choices of remote reading thermometers that combine both ear and forehead readings but I consider the term "stick it in your ear" as rude ;) and anyway I can shoot my friends with this handy device before they can run away! ;) LOL! :D

You can of course pick one of the many choices that combine both ear and forehead technologies, I found this one suited me for no particular reason except I didn't intend to use the ear reading feature.

FDA & CE Approved - scientific scanning technology, ultra sensitive clinical lens

FAST - In less than 1 second there is simply no easier or quicker way to take a temperature

ACCURATE - Accuracy is within half a Fahrenheit degree

HYGIENIC - Non-Contact & Non-Invasive

QUIET - AccuraPro can be used while the patient is asleep because it is QUICK, QUIET and ACCURATE

AccuraPro – Clinical-grade accuracy, for use at home

Features the same technology used in hospitals and doctor's offices around the world, this is the perfect solution for temperature measurement for your entire family.

It enables an accurate measurement in less than one second without the discomfort and distress of conventional methods.

This means temperature can be measured without the unpleasantness of having to sit still with a thermometer in the mouth, armpit, or rectum long enough to obtain a correct temperature reading.

Main Features

● It can communicate measurements by voice with one click.

● Triple-Mode: AccuraPro can also measure body temperature, the temperature of liquids (such as milk, baby food and bathwater) and ambient room temperature

● It can take temperature in Fahrenheit or Centigrade

● Extremely easy to use

● This thermometer beats all other devices in the market that you have to turn on, wait for the self-test, wait to pre-warm the tip etc. This turns on with one button, and takes the temperature

● within one second. It is non-invasive, you don’t even have to touch it to skin

● It's small and convenient size fits nicely in your hand and it’s non-threatening shape is a huge improvement on the “gun” style models

● It has a 32 memory recall

● It comes with a storage pouch and 2 x AAA batteries

● It is a gentle, convenient and accurate way to take the temperature of your loved ones

COST: $25 at Amazon, other sellers YMMV
  6. Susan Addams

To sum it up I have spent about $140 and another $100 for my Fitbit Alta HR for a total of about $250 (some items were taxed, others were not) and I'm pleased that for a relatively small amount of money I have assembled a very nice electronic suite that is bound to enhance my health, my fitness and my well being. With access to these tools I have constant reminders that one of my most important jobs is to maintain my physical fitness, and to make good lifestyle choices. I feel that having access to my Fitbit plus the items I've described above that I have taken a big step forward in ensuring that I have the best possible health (that of course includes my 2-4x trips to the gym for workouts each week), and I have taken an active part in ensuring that I have every chance of seeing what the 21st century looks like. I think that by 2100 that being 120 years old will be the new 80-90 years old, and unless I have an unfortunate appointment with a Greyhound bus I intend to live long enough to have a 100 candle birthday cake and enough breath to blow out the candles!

By the way I am replacing my traditional mercury thermometer (yes I actually have one with the poisonous element inside) and my old manual scale. This will be my first sphygmometer.

I currently have a patchwork of a home first aid kit, quite likely furnished better than most home first aid kits (no I can't do a tracheotomy although I've heard it can be done with a pocket knife and a ball point pen case to hold the opening open) but I'm going to go shopping for an upper end first aid kit that is somewhere between your average home kit and your paramedic kit minus the Rx drugs. Noting that epi pens are available without prescriptions.

I'll save that for my next midnight shopping trip. :D
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  7. Susan Addams

1. Digital Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor Wrist: I returned the wrist cuff BPM because the display was difficult to read and had no back light. I ordered a different model which I expect to be delivered tomorrow (Friday). "Care Touch Fully Automatic Wrist Blood Pressure Cuff Monitor - Platinum Series." I'll review it when I've had a chance to play with it and take it to my doctor's office to verify its accuracy.

2. AccuraPro NEW Infrared Forehead Thermometer: I returned this "shoot me in the head" thermometer because although it looked nice it had a tinny, difficult to understand voice readout. While no voice readout at all would have been find, the cursed thing had this squawky, annoying voice that I couldn't turn off, and it irritated me to use the device. I think I'll go shopping for a "stick it in your ear" device with forehead capability too, although I'm getting tired of cycling products buy, wait, get, get disappointed, request return, print return slip, take it to UPS store routine. It's free but it's a hassle. I decided to lay off thermometers for a while. Anyway I haven't been sick in ages and I do have an old fashioned thermometer. No need to go high tech at the present although I will buy an ear/head model in the near future. After all, first aid is all about being prepared. If you need it but don't have it it's too late!

3. Wifi Smart Connected Body Fat Bathroom Scale by Weight Gurus: this is a qualified success but I decided worth keeping. It reads out not only weight but various other parameters such as fat content, bone content, muscle content and BMI. It also has a pleasing low profile design and easy to read, illuminated display that displays your weight when you step on, and then cycles through the other values if you wish to see them. (Not worth the hassle, just use the app.) Note that to measure body fat and derived figures you must be bare footed, and I suggest you should do it nude so as to weigh just your body not your clothes too. I calibrated this by weighing myself at the gym then at home and found less than a pound difference (didn't change clothes or anything, so I became a human calibration weight.)

In short it's all good, a keeper, but... The documentation is flawed or difficult to understand. It took me 3-4 calls to customer support to set it up. I was becoming quite annoyed but cheered up when it was finally good to go! I weighed myself this morning by simply stepping on it, stepped off when it showed my weight then went to the app to see the results. The app gives you a running history which is the good stuff! If you are losing weight you'll see the declining slope of the weight bar graph. Likewise for other readings. Should see fat going down and muscle up.

A flaw: The BMI readout should have some indication where you stand: obese, overweight, normal, under weight. It just has the pure number. It would help if there was an indication how you are doing and where the demarcations are. In any case I know my ideal weight so when I reach it I know my BMI will be optimum too.

Final note: The device can auto-recognize up to 6-7 users by recognizing them by their weights, so there is n need for family members to sign in. The manufacturer states that at individuals must have at least 10 pounds weight difference, and provides a means to select which user if two do weigh within 10 pounds.

To sum it up this scale is a keeper. I particularly like that you just step on it to weigh in, and that it automatically remembers your weightings and you can display the numbers later.

I'll report on the new blood pressure cuff when I get it.