1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My little sob story

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by IamZed, Jan 18, 2003.

1. IamZed

IamZed ...

I love getting old. Now I have a neurological problem with my fingers. I used to actually chat. That ability is long gone. Typing is quite a struggle for me. This will all end in about two years as I figure we will have 100% voice recognition.
    The drugs needed to fix the problem are unacceptable to me. I am a drunk in the evenings but when I wake up and go to work I must be totally there and involved.

The reason I posted this is that I admire the depth you all go to to make yourselves understood. I would love to participate in a conversation that went as deep as some here do. I will have to wait a few years.
    I fit in quite well at BBR thru trite comments. I have learned to compose for power as I will only type so much. Here I want to get in the throw but cant keep up.
    I have been attempting to type this for an hour.

I will be fast when the voice crap takes off. I would really like to give an in depth response to some of the many quality posts I read here. It would take an entire day for me.

I have some stupid ailment called essential tremors. Nothing big. My fingers just deny me to a small amount. Medicine has yet to understand what that means to the keyboard driven world as it is so new.

I was a quick commentator at BBR. I want to say what I think here but I can not. I will in the future. If I seem quipy, it is the best I can do.

Bear with me for the next few years? I really dont mean to be short. I cant help it. As a result I cant take truck with anyone because it would be a thrown out comment not followed by any reason or backing.

Make that two hours.

I lurk. I see things that interest me. I will smoke every one of your asses when I can make a speech program work right.

For now I must primarily listen.

2. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Understood, Zed. Hope you can get the voice tech setup you need soon; it must be frustrating to find your communication limited so.

3. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

What about using the speech tools in Word in OfficeXP, then cut and paste into th GA forum?

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

This actually explains a lot of your style in typing.

I am very sorry to hear this but I am elated to know that your cure for getting involved is around the corner and in many cases, already here.

I've been testing VR software out since they came out to general public and while we are not 100% there, it's very close to being.

Have you tried what Immortal One suggested?

5. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

Sorry to hear about that. I hope you smoke my ass in the near future.

6. IamZed

IamZed ...

Thanks. I really dont yet want to participate in a beta type thing while i can still type.
    My employer does not know yet so i haqd better get my ass on the ball and do something.
    I feel like the Heff must have when he came downstares and opened the current months magazine and realised he could not read as he had had a stroke.

Sharon, Stop talking about your ass. We want to see it, not hear about it.

7. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

Whoa............. speak for yourself..............

I'd smoke her ass any day................<small> (Gee,.....I wonder if her webmaster fee is gonna go up for that comment...............</small>):eek:

<small>.......................can't believe I just said that....................</small>

8. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Zed,

I can *somewhat* relate with my back problems but I have been fortunate enough that my injury has not impacted my ability to use the PC too much. Occasionally I do have to give sitting a break no matter how many different chairs I have tried.

I have tinkered with Office VR a couple times and to Ethics point it's not quite there yet. Training the software to recognize a substantial vocabulary of your own can be quite a project.

Hopefully technological advances in this area will make this a much easier and effective application that you can use to give us a piece of your mind :)

In the interim might it be possible for you to upload .wav files when you would like to express an opinion in detail?

You could post the *.wav with a short description of its contents and members could play the wave. Considering you're talking about a couple years before you have the ability to express yourself fully in text form I wonder if this might not be viable option for you.

9. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Sorry to hear about this, Zed :(

I thought the dragon data software thingie was good. How about IBMs?

10. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

I started using Dragon about a year ago and it did seem like it might work OK -- but I did not play with it enough to be sure and never finished training it before my system crashed and I had to reinstall everything. Somehow I forgot that. I will try it again soon, though. Some of you may have noticed that I am a lousy typist. :)

11. IamZed

IamZed ...

Oh, I can easily get by in the interum. It is the gusto of a hearty felt response I envy. Both men and women here have a lot to say about how they feel. that would take me all day.
    I can wait. It is not long comming. You think we go on and on now, wait.

12. wafen

wafen Member

I only have one good hand, the other one hand all the nerves cut.
    I just peck peck peck. :)

13. IamZed

IamZed ...

I had an employee like you wafen. He got by quite nicely. Snow machine accident.

14. wafen

wafen Member

I fell off a ladder with two bundles of roofing into a picture window.
    The only thing that was holding my hand on was a little bit of tendon and flesh.

15. IamZed

IamZed ...

I remember having this conversation with you before. I also fell thru a plate glass window and those shards found every one of my tendons. I live with staples now. But I am pleased with how they work.

16. wafen

wafen Member

I consider myself very very lucky.
    I had good surgeons and my hand was saved to function somewhat. I just have no feeling and have to be careful to not injure my hand.
    I have to wear what is called a cock-up wrist brace. Yes, that is what it is called.:)

17. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

A friend always says "hey dude, give me 4-1/2"! (lost half a finger in a home construction accident).

18. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

MR- I can relate about the bad back. Between the degenerative joint disease and my neuro problems, I can't sit for too long. Heck, any position is not good for me for any great length of time. Just keep truckin on as the saying goes.

Zed- Look forward to the time when you can really express yourself to the fullest! How about any of the Kurzweil voice recognition products or are they rolled into existing works from other manufacturers? All the best!

19. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Zed, I just thought you had a dry sense of humor with your quips!

I can type fine, it's my brain that has the problem. I'm sure you'll express yourself eloquently long before I figure out how to do it.