1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Golf Club

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ditch, Dec 17, 2002.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Any golfers out there? I know BDD is.The Lakes Golf Club is where I hack it around every Saturday morning. Aptly named theres more water than you would like a golf course to have. Exposed to the wind from all directions, it can be a real test especially for the average golfer.
    Tiger's caddie will love it...plenty of places to throw cameras.
    I sometimes play to my handicap of 10. Used to be off 5 not tooooo long ago.
    We are affiliated with Olympic in San Francisco which entitles us to a pre arranged game and a beer if we're lucky.

Thats the 14th green in the opening page.

2. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

What a beautiful and challenging course!!!

Get us a tee time, ditch... I'm on my way!!! ;)

BDD... :{)

3. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Good on you BDD. Just say the word.

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Damn...I missed this thread the first time around :/ Beautiful course indeed ditch. Is it safe to assume there's some nice fish in the water hazards? I do so love sneaking into golf courses at night and fishing the water hazards ;)

5. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Coot, The water has a lot of Carp and Eels. The Carp grow to about 2 feet long but are not good eating. If you want to try then the recommended way is to put the fish on a griller with a house brick. When the brick is edible give the fish another hour or so and then try it!
    All the water is storm water runoff and is very unhealthy. Lots of bird life though including Pelicans and Black Swans. Lots of golf balls too.

6. Coot

To be sure, I play golf...the fondness of which, the view from my backyard indicates ;) As the country club costs for the course I live next to are prohibitive, I do enjoy fishing their water hazards at night.

I don't take the fish to eat, but rather practice catch and release. They are stocked with small mouth bass, a North American gamefish that is somewhat good eating, but is more valued as a fighter.

Over the years, I've fished a number of country club water hazards for America's favorite gamefish...egads, I can see a book deal in the making ;)

7. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

OK. I forgot that photo but recall it now. Well we need one one more for a foursome...with BDD.

Are those egads good eating?

8. Coot

Okay...I'll admit it first, I'm a 7 handicap...next?

9. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I made the admssion in the first post. I'm a 10 marker now but played like a 20 yesterday. Its a rude game sometimes and that water doesn't through your dunked shots back at you.

10. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

The handicapping system here, works on a system wherby the deduction made when breaking your handicap is determined by the amount you break it by and the handicap you are on. The lower the handicap the smaller the reduction. On your handicap Coot if you break it by 3 for example, you'll lose 0.6 ie 0.2 for every shot you break it by. If the handicap is say 16, the reduction is 0.3 for every shot. The course rating on the day determines the "par" for the day. Course rating of one over par means you need to break your handicap by 1 to play to the course rating. Similar to the systen you use I believe.
    What we don't have but I think you do, is have is a system of ratings whereby each course is rated according to difficulty where you need to play under your handicap on a lower rated course in order to play to your home course handicap.This has nothing to do with daily ratings which are determined by the conditions of the day.

11. BigDeputyDog

My handicap is the fact I ever took up the damn game!! ;)

I'm usually in the 10-12 handicap range although at the end of this season it had settled in the single digit range. Here in the midwest the season is usually from late March until sometime in November, depending on El Nino. Since I suffer from arthritis in my knees and back, I can't play in sub-50 degree (10C for my Down Under friends) without suffering for it.

For me, the start of a new season is much like learning the game all over again. Muscles have to be retrained, midset has to be relearned. I've seriously considered moving south when I finally retire, just so I can play golf (albeit poorly) year around!!

*On a side note... Have you tried any of the golf games for the PC?? I've got Tiger Woods PGA Tour '99 and it is a blast!!*

12. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

If you guys don't mind having a nice high handicap join, count me in. My handicap last year season was about 20.

I love the game, but unfortunately I just don't have the free time to play very often anymore.

13. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

OK tke, that makes a fourball.

Yes BDD the way you can play is enough to get one depressed sometimes. Thats a short season, something we don't face down here.

14. BigDeputyDog

It looks like we have the makings for a "Global Affairs Open"!! :happy:

Let's see... 2 from the Midwest, one from California, one from Australia... Perhaps it would be cheaper to get Ditch here from down under than the rest of us to travel to the Southern Hemisphere... :thumbsup:

15. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Sounds good to me BDD. If you guys split the ticket 3 ways it shouldn't hurt too much.

16. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Just saw this thread. My course is <a href="http://www.cypressridge.com/index.html">Cypress Ridge</a>. I'm a men's club member there, but play it only 8-10 times per year as it's a few hours drive north of where I live. I usually get out 3-4 times each month at the local courses though. Alas, I'm currently about a 15 hc, a little behind you guys, but I'm quick to order a cold pitcher in the 19th hole, so I can't be all that bad!

17. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Good looking course InsAgt. Not too much water although the 18th has plenty. Handicaps don't matter here but the beer is welcome.

18. jamming

jamming Banned

So why do the call it Golf.

All the other four letter words were taken ;)