1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My apologies to Sean Penn.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Jedi Writer, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Recently somewhere there was a thread on Sean Penn's visit to Iraq. He was pretty much raked over the coals by many including me. I also took Hollywood celebrities to task too!

This past weekend I heard approximately 10 to 15 minutes of a portion of an interview of Penn by a CNN correspondent. The portion I heard exclusively covered Penn's visit to Iraq. He was asked direct and pointed questions about his visit to Iraq including questions about his motives and many of the negative criticism directed towards him for his visit.

My hat goes off to him and my apologies out to him.

Based upon his responses to those questions Penn struck me as a sincere, thoughtful, altruistic, mature, introspective, patriotic, and a concerned American.

He and I may differ significantly on our political views and on what we should or should not do with Iraq, but he has won my respect.

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Sort of like Ken, huh? He grows on you but only in the shade like the other molds and fungus ;)

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

JW, can you find this on CNN's site? I can't...would love to read what this guy said that turned you around. :)

Next, we'll find out Jane Fonda was acting in true-blue American spirit during those sojourns to Hanoi.

SM

4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I read an article in the paper about celebrities and how they are perceived due to their politics. They brought up Sean Penn, Jane Fonda, Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon, et al.

One of the points of the article was that Sean Penn was in fact very careful to not say anything or do anything that would be considered an act against the US, or to take any side, very much unlike Jane Fonda. In fact, he said very little at all about the trip, just that he wanted to see the country and people for himself.

But then Iraq used it as a propaganda ploy anyway, saying "Mr. Penn came over and independently verified what we have been saying, that Iraq had disarmed." Of course, much to Sean Penn's chagrin.

He still put himself in that position. What he gets, he deserves. With greater exposure comes greater responsibility, and to put yourself at the mercy of the Iraqi propaganda machine is foolhardy.

Then the article went on to discuss how America is getting tired of the celebrity voice, and it's not carrying much impact any more. That some celebrities are damaging their causes - Barbara Streisand for example, and her Democratic Party activism.

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I actually agree with this--the Dems don't need any help from the likes of Streisand.

SM

6. aedumo

aedumo Veteran Member

personally i'm sick and tired of hollywood stars. all they talk about is themselves, give themselves awards, cry about how hard there job is, tell people what to do politically, tell people to give money(hwen they have most of it), and expect people to believe they know what the hell they say. sean penn....stay home, tim robbin and your wife...shut-up, jane fonda ... shove you and your money and your activism you know where, streisand....get a nose job and retire already

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

What exactly did Penn say, Stevent?

8. Omar

Omar Registered User

I, too, would like to know what was said that would make you change your mind so drastically.