1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Must ban all sharp objects before it's too late...

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Greg, Dec 15, 2012.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

That's just crazy talk--EVERYONE needs cars, while only 88% of the population has guns!

ethics likes this.
  3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I did not write this but like enough to share with my friends:
    "Background checks and weapon safety education stand a chance of preventing accidents like these. All of the pro-second amendment people that I know, myself included, support such measures. However, I don't see how outlawing aesthetic features that some people find "scary" but have no bearing on a weapon's lethality, such as pistol grips and folding stocks, would reduce such incidences. I don't see how arbitrary limits on magazine capacity would do so. However, I do see how these things curb the rights of responsible gun owners.

Saying that someone with a history of violent crime, or someone who cannot pass a basic firearms safety course, can't have a gun is analogous to saying that a person who verbally threatens to kill his wife should be arrested for it. Most people in our culture believe these are reasonable measures that do not violate the first and second amendments. By contrast, banning so-called "assault weapons" is like saying that no one is allowed to write books or make films about Islam, because a handful of *******s have used their first amendment rights to say such inflammatory things about Islam that innocent people have been killed as a result.

We as a society have decided that the first amendment is so important, that allowing a few innocent people to be hurt or killed is the lesser evil when compared to taking away someone's right to free expression, even when that someone is an utter idiot or *******. We recognize that the right to free speech is so fundamental to our whole way of life that to take it away, even in small steps, each of which seems completely reasonable and designed to save lives, is still completely unacceptable and would destroy what makes us who we are.

Many of us, myself included, see the second amendment as similarly fundamental. Remember that our founding fathers wrote the bill of rights based on the evils that they had seen perpetrated by governments against citizens. The second amendment is specific to military style weapons, for the purpose of allowing individual citizens to form into militias whenever they need might arise, whether in opposition to a foreign invader, civil unrest, or corrupt government. In a society where significant potential force rests in the hands of ordinary people, those individuals who hold that potential force safeguard the freedoms of the entire society.

The second amendment guarantees individuals the right to hold that power. To say that people can have arms, but not powerful or military style ones, not ones that hold more than 10 shots, is as contrary to the fundamental meaning of the second amendment as to say that people have freedom of religion, but only if they pick one of five acceptable religions, as determined by popular vote. "

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

The problem with that is those that wish to ban guns have no issue at all with getting the 2nd Amendment abolished. In their mind, the end justifies the means.

In the mind of a liberal, they don't care what rights they trample. Their goal is their own vision of what society should be, and everyone else be damned.

6. Sierra Mike

Was that in response to Shiny's posting? Because if it was, in context it made no sense.

7. Greg

Greg Full Member

8. Greg

Greg Full Member

Spot on! There are no more fundamental rights than those guaranteed in our Constitution and its amendments.

This is a document that cannot be changed except by the processes defined in that same document.

Obama can spout off all he wants but the Executive branch of the government cannot steam roller over the Constitution no matter what Obama believes. We have two more branches of our federal government and there was a serious reason to have that (balance of powers to ensure one branch wouldn't run amok) and no matter what Obama wants he cannot override the Constitution.

Let him run it past Congress and SCOTUS if he wants to be the loose cannon on deck.

Obama is our President but he is not our King.

9. Biker

It makes perfect sense. The "ban gun crowd" doesn't care that there's a second amendment right. If they can't get guns banned without doing away with the 2nd Amendment, they're perfectly willing to do just that. Their vision of a perfect world has no guns and the government tells everyone what to do.

For the past month, I've listened to some rather fanatical rants from the left and the clueless. They blame the easy access to firearms for all the world's problems. I've heard that there should be absolutely no firearms in a home that has mentally ill individuals. I've heard that high capacity magazines have no place in the home. In their view, the Newtown tragedy would never have happened if firearms weren't available to the shooter. Never mind that the worst school tragedy was caused by explosives, and as recently as 2 weeks ago a plot to plant explosives at a school was thwarted makes absolutely no difference. Guns are evil and there shouldn't be any.

The media is doing their damnedest to further this agenda. Skewed polls, slanted reporting, and morons like Piers Morgon are doing their best to ensure the public doesn't know a fact from a lie. And while they're perfectly willing to do away with the 2nd Amendment, imagine the howls of outrage if it were suggested that the 1st Amendment be changed to make biased reporting illegal.

10. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

That is pretty much impossible. A Constitutional Amendment takes ratification by 3/4ths of the states, and no matter how bad California would like it, or DC or Illinois, they get ONE vote each.

11. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

SOURCE

A good read!

BDD... :{)

12. Biker

You know that. I know that. The average moronic, foaming at the mouth, anti-gun crusader? No, he doesn't know that. Or rather, refuses to believe it.

13. Copzilla

Oh, no doubt, Tom. They can be willing to, but they don't get to. Even SCOTUS, as liberal as they're turning with the addition of a couple of activist judges that Obama appointed, still can't get past that one little issue, the 2nd Amendment. And Heller pretty much set the stage for their arguments for the next couple of decades.

14. Copzilla

State police issue the weapon inventory recovered at the scene, and confirm that the MSM was wrong. I only have one issue with this release.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?Q=517284&A=4226

In previous press conferences, the Connecticut State Police clearly identified all of the weapons seized from the crime scene at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

To eliminate any confusion or misinformation, we will again describe and identify the weapons seized at the school crime scene.

Seized inside the school:
    #1. Bushmaster .223 caliber-- model XM15-E2S rifle with high capacity 30 round clips

#2. Glock 10 mm handgun

#3. Sig-Sauer P226 9mm handgun

Seized from suspect’s car in parking lot:

#4. Izhmash Canta-12 12 gauge Shotgun (seized from car in parking lot)

This case remains under investigation.
    Lt. J. Paul Vance

MAGAZINES. MAGAZINES you stupid ass. Not CLIPS.

15. Biker

16. Biker

17. Biker

18. ethics

And they are wrong?

19. Sierra Mike

No, they're not. I saw this yesterday, and it was maddening as hell. As a staunch advocate of the Second Amendment, I simply cannot understand, nor abide by, someone standing up and issuing a protest statement during a bereaved father's invited testimony. As much as the gun control nuts have lost their minds over this issue, the fair assessment is that there are TONS of Second Amendment supporters who have gone the opposite way. It's like they have no internal censor, and they do shit like this that makes the rest of us look like raging idiots as well.

The other father who spoke focused on the mental health aspects, and didn't think gun control was even worth it, beyond enforcing what was already on the books. And no one said shit then, not even the looney left, who were all over the place.

So yeah, some butthole stands up and starts talking about infringement, right then and there? Fuck yes, he's a nut, and it's his own fault that he gave the media another nut to hang a title on.

ethics likes this.
  20. ethics

Well said, SM.