1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muslim homes raided in Australia

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ditch, Oct 31, 2002.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

This story tells of how the Australian Security and Intelligence Organisation has raided the homes of those suspected of having ties to Jemaah Islamiah. The not so surprising thing is the cries from the civil liberty groups who claim the tactics were too heavy handed. Some of these people would get on the phone to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals if they found a snake in the bed of their child before doing anything else. JI has been classified as a terrorist group, are the main suspects in the Bali bombing and the foiled attempts to bomb the OZ embassy in Singapore last year. One of the homes raided had legal registered firearms on the premises, hence the use of flack jackets and the carrying of auto weapons by the ASIO squad. Hardly the time to ring and make an appointment which I think is what the civil libertarians would have preferred.
    Bombings on Australian territory will not be far off.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I doubt the majority of Aussies could care less about how it was handled just as long as it was.

3. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

We'll see the same here, and not just the homes of Muslims. Give it time.

4. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

"I doubt the majority of Aussies could care less about how it was handled just as long as it was."

Yes ethics I think so too. But the noisy minority gets a lot of publicity. They have a point as in some cases raids are way over the top but not this time i believe.

______"We'll see the same here, and not just the homes of Muslims. Give it time."

There could be a few rough years ahead.

5. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

Lindsay,

Imagine the stink if the raids had been resisted, and ASIO agents had been killed. Cries of "professional incompetence" would have been flying from our media who are giving this a great run.

I agree that the average Aussie is pleased to see these raids take place.

John.