1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

{Music Recommendation} Rahel Jaskow

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by LissaKay, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

It dances on the ears, it's almost as if you understand the message without understanding the words. It causes me to want to learn Hebrew just to understand the music on a more intimate level. The music is her voice, and it's absolutely perfect, nothing is missing...anything added would detract.

2. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Well, my own personal opinion about the language is that it was the easiest to learn from both Russian and English.

4. ravital

ravital Banned

You hit it right on the head. I am familiar with the words, and if you feel anything added would detract I won't translate any of it. For me, the "anything added would detract" rule applies to the music itself.

I had heard many, many such renditions when I was young and they always got on my nerves. Part of it was the proselytizing aspect of it (which Jews never heap on non-Jews, but too often are quite eager to heap on each other) being as secular as I've always been. But listening to this one I finally understand why I never liked the older renditions (we're talking 70's or so) but love this one: The older ones were much too orchestrated, much too ornate, much too distant from their simple origins as family/traditional songs to sing around the table or at feasts and weddings and such; they were pretentious, it's like they aspired to be operatic, they sounded like Broadway productions, with every musical instrument in creation going "me too! me too!"

Jaskow, on the other hand, is a minimalist on this one. Very tasteful and evocative arrangements, taking your imagination and emotions exactly where she wants you to go, but you get there because you want to, on your own. The technique of frequently switching her multiple voices from harmony to unison reminds me very much of medieval Europe's early experiments with polyphonics in both religious and "profane" (as they used to call it) music. Soothing to the ear and the brow, but with a lot of soul.

Thanks Lissa for the recommendation! :)

5. LissaKay

Exactly. My CD arrived yesterday. I popped it in to the player and went about my evening chores and duties. It wasn't until later that I realized that as I fussed over my too-small kitchen, the cats under-foot, a kid sulking about doing chores and homework, too much to get done and too little time ... I was not nearly as frazzled and stressed as I usually am, and yesterday was a worse-than-usual day. Instead of flumping down in my chair when I was done and grousing about all that was going wrong with my world, I was at peace and relaxed. Yet I was energized and alert. But when pillow time arrived, I sank right into a peaceful sleep instead of lying there for another hour with all my worries churning through my brain.

I wish I had babies still that I could use this for lullabyes.

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

LOL! I had to show this post to my wife. When I got the CD and was playing it, I thought it was PERFECT for the baby (she has been sleeping the same CD since birth). I think this would be perfect for her and tried it out and she loved it... Or she didn't wake up as much even while she has a tooth coming through.

7. LissaKay

I just sent Rahel an email telling her how much we are enjoying Day of Rest. I copied the comments you guys have made to her as well. I also commented on the diversity of this little quartet ... a devout atheist, a Jewish (by birth) Ukrainian immigrant, an Israeli immigrant, and a spiritual (non-religious, non-churchgoing) Christian ... and how her music has touched us all in very similar ways.

8. LissaKay

I just received a reply from Rahel. She said she is very pleased and moved by your comments about "Day of Rest." She asked permission to post our comments on her CD Baby site, but I think it would have more impact if you guys did it yourselves, ya know?

9. Coot

Done, and it was my pleasure...though it says it will take a couple of days for the review to show up.

10. ravital

ravital Banned

Lissa,

Done, it was a pleasure to do it, and please tell her thanks from me (from all of us I'm sure).

Not critical at all, but if I could impose upon your good nature a little further, you might ask her if she's considered doing something similar in the Ladino/Sepharadic vein in the future.

Thanks again for the recommendation, that was cool.

11. LissaKay

Thanks, guys ... our comments have been reviewed and posted to Rahel's CDBaby site. I just dropped her a note to let her know, and here's her response:

I can hardly wait to get home and listen again ... and again and again! (My car CD player is broken ... :cry: )

12. Coot

Have I mentioned lately how much I love this CD? I really don't have anything else to compare it to, but I'm quite sure it's one that I won't be growing tired of anytime soon!!