1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS Office vs. StarOffice

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Aug 15, 2007.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Google and Sun are betting they can win you over from Microsoft Office, with free StarOffice. There are rumors of more announcements coming today.

2. Domh

Domh Full Member

Losing bet.

:l:

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

It will never happen. Maybe for home users but never in a corporate environment.

Will they handle legacy documents, legacy macros and custom code? How will they work with applications that embed Excel or Word? Will they provide deployment support and guarantee platform compatibility? Will they field all the questions from users? Will they train all the employees? Will they hand-hold the marginally trainable ones?

4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Awesome!

The more competition to Microsoft Office, the better.

5. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

I use Open Office at home. I would never use it in the office. Same can be said about this. Too many apps are integrated too tightly with Microsoft Office. It is no longer sufficient to merely be able to read and create the same file format.

6. mikeky

mikeky Member

I think they're about a year too late. If they had a product ready when Office 2007 with its new (stupid!) ribbon interface came out, they may have had more willing to convert since they already had to put up with change anyway.

7. tke711

Is anyone even upgrading to Office 2007?

I played with it and didn't really notice anything that new compared to Office 2003.

8. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

I played with the beta of O2k7. Wasn't impressed and the new interface SUCKED.

9. tke711

Agreed and they only changed the interface on a couple of the products, not the entire package.

Just seemed like a HUGE waste of money to upgrade from 2003.

10. mikeky

mikeky Member

I did a while ago, needed the new version of Access. But I hate the interface so much I left 2003 installed, use it for the other applications.

Edit: I do like Outlook 2007 and its RSS, although it does seem a little slower, clunkier.

11. Brazbit

I used the Beta of 07 and loved it. The interface change was not as bad as it appeared once I figured out the logic. There was nothing compelling enough to make me want to upgrade the office and I am not spending that kind of money at home. If we had to upgrade for some reason I would not be against it however I can only imagine the bitching from the masses who after a month of using it would forget anything had ever changed. Unlike that god awful yellow/green theme Ethics applied to this site there is nothing about Office '07 to get worked up about after the initial shock wears off.

12. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I did because I get it for free. I like the new formatting options in word, and the To-Do bar in Outlook is a godsend along with a couple other things. However when I first attempted excel I just kind of sat there with a "WTF?" look on my face for five minutes before I figured it out...

13. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

We've deployed four installations of 2007 at work and have found that for the most part there isn't a problem. Users have to realize that if they want someone with an older copy of Office to read their docs, they have to save it so they can.

2002 (XP) and 2003 doesn't know what to do with a "docx" file.

14. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

Office 2002 (XP) and Office 2003 can read Office 2007 files if the compatiblity pack is installed: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...70-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

I have been using my personal copies of Vista and Office 2007 at work for testing purposes and also to help people with their home software issues. I don't feel any compelling need to use that software at home myself. I don't particularly like it.

I am interested in ethics's opinion of Office 2007 as I know he has it.

I was neve a huge fan of StarOffice. I prefer either Office 2003 or OpenOffice.

15. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

Didn't Sun Microsystems try the same thing?

16. Brazbit

Thank you for the link Damonlab. I figured someone had something like this available but I have yet had any reason to go find it. Now that I have it I will install it across the company and just avoid this file format headache altogether.

17. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

My problem is installing it across 450+ workstations.

I gotta get SMS running again...

18. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Didn't you read the OP? Sun is part of this venture.

The major difference between StarOffice and OpenOffice is the price. StarOffice will set you back 70 bucks and OpenOffice will set you back the bandwidth used to download it. In other words, it's free.

Now here's where PT Barnum was correct. People are going to shell out the bucks for StarOffice. Why? OpenOffice is the same thing. In fact, StarOffice is built off the OpenOffice source code. :banghead:

19. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

20. Arc

Arc Full Member

If they have an equivalent of Word and Excel that is compatible with MS Office, (can the two programs read and edit in some way the other's word processing and spreadsheet documents then it will be a success for the home user.)