1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mr Rogers and the Obsession with him

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jun 9, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I have seen about 10 different articles like this one in just last month. There's a new movie about him, etc...

Look, he was a great guy -- no doubt here -- loved kids and did things for them. But... When I was a kid watching him? I didn't. I mean, I would turn on the tv, shuffle around, and he was on. I never ever watched him because he was boring as shit.

But hey, that's just me.

Allene likes this.
  2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I remember one Saturday as my son was growing up. I found myself tense and could not figure out why. Then I realized they were running a Mr. Rogers marathon. That song was driving me up the wall. Took my son our for ice cream to save his life.

Allene and ethics like this.
  3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I felt the same way as I was well past his target age group when I first saw his show. Bob Garfield, an NPR host, once wrote a humor piece making note of the "wimp factor" of the show. He wrote: "Saint that he was, Fred was also very difficult to watch for many adults..."

But I have developed a retrospective appreciation for him. I have read testimonials from people who were in horrible family environments, but Mr. Rogers would say to them that they were important and their feelings mattered. Imagine being a kid in a shitty family, perhaps physically abused, and Mr. Rogers comes on TV and tells you:

Saint Fred

His target audience was 3-6, and he examined every word in the script closely.

Mr. Rogers Had a Simple Set of Rules for Talking to Children

So yeah, I would still be bored shitless if I watched his show today, but I get it.

cmhbob and Allene like this.
  4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

For the record, I am not demonizing him. I felt that he was doing good for many kids, even back then. He just wasn't for me. In all honesty, he creeped the shit out of me.