1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 Player Recommendations

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by jimeez, Apr 2, 2007.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Creative Vision M players and other Creative's I assume, don't handle Flac files but I'm not certain about SHN. What conversion software do you use?

2. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Yeah, they're pretty gay aren't they. But Leo likes 'em so I'm giving the boy a thrill for a few days.

3. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I am still using the mkw Audio Compression Tool for SHN files. But the guy doesn't support it anymore. There haven't been updates in years. FLAC, I just use the FLAC Frontend Tool.

4. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

I think he wound up going with an iriver. I remember he was looking for the best player with a rechargable that user could swap out. I'd swear it was an iriver. It's a few years now since he bought it but I remember the one thing he wanted was a rechargable battery that really holds a charge and can be swapped out easily.

5. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

I have the 1GB Creative Zen, and I think it's great. It acts as a digital meeting recorder and it has an FM receiver.

The only down side of it is the random play feature. I like a random play feature that will only play each song once until it has played every song. This one would only play songs that started with A-J, almost totally ignoring the rest of the alphabet. What I finally had to do was number every song ( like "412 (Coolio) - Gangsters Paradise.mp3") in a random order so I could get a good mix of music and I wouldn't know what was coming up next.

My bad hearing doesn't care if my songs are 128k or not, so I trimmed them down to 56k and I can stash my entire music collection with room to spare.

As for headphones, I use a Philips that wraps around the back of the head, and it has a reflective band so cars coming up behind you can see you. Plus, it was all I could afford. :blank:

6. ravital

ravital Banned

Sorry for the delay,

Most MP3 players won't handle FLAC. Some will handle Ogg-Vorbis, and might require a patch to the firmware for that.

What I meant about compatibility - as an analogy, consider that this world is built by right-handed people for right-handed people. Left-handed people have to either perform motions that might seem awkward to them, like, say, the simple task of tightening a screw with a screwdriver, or learn to do them with their right hands. For iPods vs. everybody, because it's the mainstream and the best-selling device, you probably will NOT find any device-related software that won't support it - like compatibility with Windows Media, or Winamp, and so on.

Then there's accessories. According to Steve Jobs, you should never put "skins" on your iPod or cover it with anything, it should be appreciated the way it is, but if you're going to jog with yours, you want to protect it, and not just with leather, you probably want silicone or other plastic cases with arm-bands or belt-clips and so on - again, anyone who makes accessories for MP3 players would be crazy to ignore any Apple model (though in the case of Creative Micros, I think you're in luck).

So you want to consider those factors.

As to the lawsuit you mentioned:

As you may know, DVD discs have a region code on them - a single byte holding a value between 0 and 6, which makes a DVD purchased in, say, England or France, unplayable on a DVD player purchased in the U.S. and vice-versa. The studios want to control distribution - they don't want someone in Europe to buy a DVD of the hottest movies in the U.S. and impact the revenue from movie theaters in Europe - same logic goes for South America, Asia, and so on.

With MP3 tracks, the technological means by which they control distribution doesn't exist, because MP3 players made for any market in the world will play any MP3 track (the labels woke up too late to understand the technology). So even though I'm not quite sure what they gain by it, they still want to control distribution. Remember, Steve Jobs' idea of an online store was greeted with much skepticism from the labels, and I'm sure he agreed to whatever "provisions" the major labels insisted on, that have to do with how they sell the tracks in the EU. If this is the case, Jobs might actually WANT to lose this suit, so he can sell in the EU as much as the EU wants to buy, and he can go back to the labels with his arms in the air saying "what can I do, it's a court decision."

7. ravital

ravital Banned

Yeah, as you might expect, some have complained that the Shure's wires are way too thick and heavy :)

But really, they're not, they're easy to get used to. IIRC, the Shure E2c were used by musicians in recording studios.

Tell me about it! So many possible pitfalls, I feel like we've confused Jim more than helped him.

8. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Confused Jim you say, heck I'm totally lost. I've now expanded my options to include the V-MODA Vibes, after selecting and then discarding the Bang & Olufsen A8's and the Sennheiser CX300-B's. The more I research, the more I find features of each I like and dislike. The Shure's are only offered by a third party at Amazon ( the same with the Etymotics), which sometimes makes it harder to return if there is a problem or I just don't like them.

I think I'll take a break for a few days and give this thread back to poor Jim.

9. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

10. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Just to make your decision making more difficult :) there are these new ones from Shure and these beauties at $400 from Ultimate Ears to consider.

11. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I looked at the SE210s but they were more than I wanted to spend. I just mentally can't justify going over $100 US for earbuds.

12. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

It's a lot of money over and above what will pay for a very decent pair anyway.

13. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

If you are looking for less than 20 GB (I cannot see why more would be needed), go for anything but an Ipod. Ipods are just an overpriced name brand the same as Nike.

14. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

15. ravital

ravital Banned

16. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

*sigh* Obviously I need to do some more research. Good info in there. Thanks, Rav.

17. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

The Sansa® ExpressTM MP3 Player got a pretty good review in this months PC Magazine. Cheap enough that if I don't like it, I won't be too upset....yet if I do like, what a great deal.

You can increase its memory capacity with a micro SD card.
    No support for .shn or flac files though.

18. Greg

Greg Full Member

That Sansa Express player looks kind of interesting particularly if you can just "pour" MP3s into it's memory via USB or whether you have to load some bloaty software (like iTunes) to manage its songs. I found it on sale at Best Buy for $49 and PQI microSD 1GB for $20 at Fry's (item #5060955) or another brand at Best Buy for $28. You can get 2GB microSDs for about $50 or so. At 3GB total you're starting to get into a respectable area of how much music you can pack along, and you can always swap microSDs to get more. I think the deal maker or deal breaker would be how the user interface works and how easy it is to use. If it's as easy as an iPod then that would be good enough.

19. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Ok. Just bought a Zen V Plus. I am pretty pleased with it so far. The player has amazing SQ for its size. Although it's not a slick and pretty as the iPod Nano, for the price, it's going to fit the bill.

One roadblock I have hit so far though, is the ripping software provided with the player will only rip to WMA right now unless I pay them $9.99. Is there a piece of software out there that will do this for me for free?

20. Greg

Greg Full Member

Sure. Try the one I use: http://www.poikosoft.com/download.html "Easy CD-DA Extractor."

It's shareware and I cracked mine, but even after the 20 uses it just goes into a mild nag screen before it starts up. I'll get my cracked version to you if you want it. I don't know if the crack works on the latest version though.

Maybe I should try the latest version. Mine is 4.something and the current is 10.something.

I rip all my CDs to "near CD quality" 128 Kbps, and also to uncompressed WAV for my good stereo. This program or most others work perfectly fine doing that, and ripping is no big deal like you need any kind of expensive program.

My advice is to just download and try the program from the link I furnished above. Uninstall it if you don't like it. My version was well mannered, didn't mess up anything else, and is easy to uninstall. In fact the version I use on all my computers, I just copy a folder over to install it, no installation program necessary (although the download above probably has an installer). My "crack" is just a regedit to clear out the "used 20 times" counter that starts the nag screens. NBD.