1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 Player Recommendations

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by jimeez, Apr 2, 2007.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Yes. Aside from TiVo, best tech piece I've bought in years.

2. Plunge

Plunge Passed Away July 20, 2007

Amen, I love my Bose earbuds as well as my high-end sony earbuds. Each were $100, but well worth the price.

I'm sure ethics has shure, or some such.

3. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I'm told these are the best.

I use my nano for walking and planes, but I can't stand ear muff styles. Ear buds tend to hurt for long stretches, but these get good reviews for comfort. I just don't think I could justify $500. My $45 Sennheisers are about the most I'll go.

4. ethics

I don't have those. Those are brand spanking new and worth the price tag, imho. Mine are the e4's and the only complaint is the lack of bass. Bose is nice but I hear they went the other way with bass -- way too much of it.

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Bought the lad a Nano (4 gig) for Christmas. It's still going strong. The thing you need to realize is this is a 13 year old, hyperactive powerhouse that bordelines death each and every day. If that Nano can survive him, it can survive a jog in the park.

6. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Even the E4's are pricey. This thread has me about to pull the cord on these or these though. The reviews on both are outstanding for sub $100 buds. I'm just wondering if they really make a difference on a Nano. I'm no audiophile.

7. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I'm going to spoil myself one day in the not too distant future I hope, and get me a set of those Shure EC4's. A lot of dollars but worth it from what I am told.....Leon included, although that comment about lack of bass worries me.

I bought a pair of Philips earphones recently for about $60 and took them back. No bass at all and sounded tinny. I settled for a pair that Creative makes for $40 and they are pretty good. I use Creative products for all my digital sound. A Zen Vision M 60 gig MP3, PC speakers and sound card. I like having plenty of storage space despite not yet having listened to everything that I have stored. I like knowing that just about everything Bob D has recorded is there whenever I want it.

8. ravital

ravital Banned

Absolutely true, I know I did. The earphones or buds provided with most devices are basically there so they can say they gave you something to use to listen to the device. A good pair of earphones or buds really won't set you back that much. I bought a pair of Sennheiser to use at work - these are preferable to earbuds, because with earbuds, any contact with the cable will be heard and will interfere with the music (like when the cable gets in the way of my typing and so on). When I fly, I use earbuds (Shure E4) which are great at blocking the engine noise. BOSE has the much more expensive anti-noise technology on their large earphones, but I wonder if that's as effective as eabuds that really seal your ear-canal. Given that these really shine only when you're subjected to multitudes of background noise, I question spending that much money when I'm not going to use them that often. Then again, if I lived in a large city and rode the subway, it would be different.

I can't emphasize this enough - DRM sucks wind. I'm squarely with Stio on this - I paid for it, it's mine. At this point I have a couple of hundred CDs ripped to my Zen Xtra, which I've been using for better than 4 years now (most people, when they have an MP3 player that old, turn it into a paper-weight :) ), it still has about 2/3 of its 60Gb available, and I couldn't be happier with it.

For Jim's benefit - most of these devices will also periodically have upgrades to the firmware. Beware. Make sure you have an installable copy of the current or older firmware so you can use to revert back to it, just in case, because in my case, the new firmware made for horrible, almost non-existing bass and really lousy, tin-sounding treble. Had to scour the user groups for a copy of the original one which gave me back the deep and warm bass and brilliant treble.

Edit: E4 above should read E2c, same model Stio linked to. Stio, go for it, they're great.

9. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I've been looking at those e2c's for a long time--debating. I have some high-end Sony earbuds (they were about $80 when I bought them--they've come down since then), that I really like, so it's been hard to justify spending another $100 when I'm OK with what I have.

But maybe it's time to treat myself.

One problem that I've had with the Sony's, and that my wife has had with her Bose earbuds, is that the damn little rubber cover comes off too easily, and gets lost. Is that a problem with the Shure's too? I don't know why they can't make that attach more securely--just a little lip or something that it has to stretch over, instead of popping right on or off, would solve the problem.

10. ethics

One thing to keep in mind with the Shures, they are not for everyone. What I mean is that they are NOT for jogging, especially when you need to be alert at all times. They cancel out A LOT and while it's perfect for my commute, I wouldn't use them when I need to be alert (jogging out on the street).

11. ravital

ravital Banned

When I bought my E2c set, it came with three kinds of interchangeable rubber "seals" that go on the earphones - semi-stiff rubber, soft rubber, and the squishy kind of sponge material (I know I'm not saying it right, it's the kind of foam you squeeze and it spring backs very slowly to regain its shape) so you can have your ideal level of seal and comfort - two or three pairs of each of the above in different sizes. Never tried the foam ones, but the rubber ones are sturdy and yes, you do have to work a bit to remove them from the earphones when you want to change them, so they do stay on pretty good.

And also, what Leon said above, about the safety factor, is paramount, I'm sure you know. It's easy for me out here in the boonies to forget what you guys have to put up with on the streets.

12. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I must have some sort of congenital condition because one of my ears is incapable of holding an ear bud. :)

13. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Yeah, I am in the boonies too, but I don't know that I would want total sound isolation while jogging. Another good point to consider. You guys are coming up with lots of great input. I am glad I asked.

I am pretty sure I am heading towards a Creative device. I found some Samsung models that I really like, but they are only available in Europe.

And in other news:
    Wonder where this is going?

14. ravital

ravital Banned

Jim,

One last thing: If you're going with a Creative device, log on to www.nomadness.net, read the forums there, register if you want (it's free) and ask for more input there. Things you want to look at are compatibility, warranty/service, and other sources like forums or lists to get feedback. Despite my bias, I have to tell you that you might be giving up on some peace of mind in such areas by not going with an Apple product.

As to "where this is going" with the antitrust suit - more later.

15. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

My brother, who is a die hard audiophile, went with a non ipod mp3 player because of the battery replacement situation. He doesn't jog though. He works out at the gym but no jogging on the street.

16. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Man, I put the Etymotic's in my shopping cart last night, but didn't go through with the buy. The reviews are a bit better for them than the Shures, but some people are complaining about the wires being unnecessarily thin and subject to breakage. I'm going to look at the Shures again. I didn't spend this much time shopping when I bought my last 5 cars!

17. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Can you please explain? Are you referring to compatibility and warranty/service areas?

Also, I just thought of something else. I have thousands and thousands of SHN and FLAC files. Does any player play these or am I going to have to convert them all to MP3?

What player does your brother have, Vi?

18. ethics

One HUGE plus for me is the Shure's wires. VERY rugged and very thick (but not overly). Let's just say a simple snag will rip it out of the Ipod before it rips anywhere else.

19. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Yeah, I want things to hold up well.

20. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Like those tuxedo bikini briefs? :lol: