1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP# editing software?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by wapu, Jan 11, 2003.

1. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

MP3 editing software?

How about something that will let me cut chunks off the front or back of an MP3? I have a couple that have like 15 minutes of silence after them. They were that way on the CD and I would like to cut that part off.

Any ideas?

wapu

2. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

If you're gonna burn to CD, you'll have to convert it to wav first, and CoolEdit PRO is my favorite tool for playing with waves. Lots to learn though.

3. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Yep...definitely agree...since I don't believe there is any software out there that can directly modify an MP3 it must first be converted to a WAV format...and then any of the WAV editor programs can do the job...Cool Edit, Cakewalk, n-Track Studios...

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Re: MP3 editing software?

Oh man, what a great question.

I listen to mostly trance and it comes in forms of mixes. There's lot's of "live" crap that doesn't need to be there.

Is there a software for just MP3's? ( I use Ipod so no need for CD's)

Also, anyway to make 10 songs in to one without pauses in between tracks?

5. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I'd go with HaYwIrE. Rip the CD using Cool Edit Pro or dbpoweramp as a .wav, edit whatever you need to edit, then use dbpoweramp to convert to MP3, Ogg, or whatever format you like using.

6. ethics

You won't lose anything by doing this, I assume? No loss of quality?

7. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Unfortunately you do, although not significant enough to tell by the average listener.

8. ethics

Ah ok. I am not an average listener, so this will not be for me. :(

Thanks for suggestions though. :)

9. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Then you need to move into something like a Cakewalk or N-Track, where you can adjust and equalize each track and then merge them into one final cut.

10. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

OK, I downloaded CoolEdit2000 from the site Haywire suggested and I really like it. It has a 30 Trial, but will only let you recompress 1 minute of the file. CoolEditPro is a little more than I would like to spend. The thing I did not like was uncompressing and then recompressing the MP3. So, in my searching I found mp3Direct Cut at webattack. Here is what the site says about it:
    I downloaded it and it did exactly what I was looking for. I have an MP3 of the Dixie Chicks doing <i>Traveling Soldier</i> at the CMAs, but the first 39.030 seconds was Vince Gill introducing them. I was able to cut that part out and now I just have the song. I will keep looking at CoolEdit as there might be more I want to do, but for now MP3 Direct Cut will work for me.

wapu

11. ethics

Wapu, I could kiss you. THANKS!