1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving on and a Challenge

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Jul 14, 2010.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Asking, not telling, I think we are all adults here. But just asking folks not to bash a certain member who decided to leave in political (or other) threads. I think we are tasteful folk who are proud of our upbringing. I still respect this person, I think they are highly intelligent and up until the past year, did teach me a few things--especially tolerance. I think most, if not all, have learned something from him as well.

So, here's the challenge.

I know that many are Centrists here in general, while some like me tend to lean left on Social issues, while some lean right on issues like Abortion, etc... Unfortunately, what ended up happening too many times is you had, more or less, a ranting session on Obama or Healthcare, etc... and that's fine, ranting is always good and encouraged. But infusion of certain someone would always lead to people on opposite sides.

What would be awesome is the following:

1. People debating the issue, not the poster.
    2. People debating the issue based on the issue's benefits or liabilities (or best yet, BOTH! if any), not because party A says it's what you must do.
    3. TRY to get on the issue in your opponent's shoes. Meaning, at least understand their stance -- don't have to agree with it.

And look, I know most of you are older and/OR wiser than I and probably already do the above anyway. But I feel better penning this (or whatever the current term is). :)

I am hopeful that the place will explode with good debates, challenges, and even passionate arguments. Please never take these threads, issues, personally, it's just another forum in the corner of the internet.

2. Arc

Arc Full Member

Are you telling me that I can no longer make posts that contain nothing but assertions without any offer of proof?
  3. ethics

Funny guy :)
  4. Domh

Domh Full Member

Screw that! I will NEVER stop bashing Haywire!

5. ethics

Lmao.. I wonder how he is doing?
  6. Domh

Domh Full Member

Oh he's fine. He sends me pics now and again...

7. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

:rofl: Haywire. We sure did have a few winners in here through the years.
  8. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

I guess that was before my time. I may have to go back and see if I can find any posts.