1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Nuclear News From the ROK

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Gosh, more fun stuff from the Land of the Morning Calm...

I'm unaware of any statements made by the US beyond Rummie's jag that we (America) can fight two regional conflicts simultaneously that would merit such an incredible explosion of hostility from the DPRK. I guess everything they agreed to is just a sham.

Read all about it at South Korea Appeals for Nuclear Solution

Or, as Kim Jong Il is likely to say, "Melly Chlistmas, Amerlican pig-dogs!"

SM

2. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20021225/ap_on_re_as/koreas_nuclear_28

They seem Hell-bent on forcing a confrontation as they have now ratcheted up the dialog.

It sounds so much like blackmail to me. Are they so desperate for those energy supplies from the US as to try and force the issue?
    Are they taking advantage of our commitment to Iraq thinking we would be too busy there to do much about this action?

Why hasn't other countries use their leverage and diplomatic and economic ties to help prevent this possible non-proliferation violation?

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Initially, I didn't give their posturing much thought. But as time goes on, I get a little more nervous with this one.This is beginning to smell a little bit like the wind up to Perl Harbor. If you recall, Japan also felt they were backed into a corner with the ongoing trade issues of the time.

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what game they're playing here...they can't win a military altercation, and it would only leave their country in complete shambles...not that it's far from that now.

Japan, at least, had a real plan. All the DPRK can hope for is total annihilation.

If they want the energy, the food, and the chance to break out of isolation, all they have to do is follow China's lead. But it appears the Dear Leader is either extremely stupid, or monumentally paranoid. Stalinism is all he can exist with, apparently.

SM