1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More minimum wage jobs disappearing

Discussion in 'Economy' started by MemphisMark, Mar 8, 2018.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

CaliBurger has decided to try out a robotic burger flipper. Flippy The Burger-Flipping Robot Just Destroyed The Case For Minimum-Wage Hikes.

This arm can detect when the burger is adequately cooked, flip, adequately cooked again and place them on buns without human intervention. It still needs a human to put the meat on the grill.

The Robot with a price tag of $60k and a $12k/year service/maintenance contract will enable stores who can afford the up front costs to save almost $8k/year in labor costs, even at the minimum wage level. When you factor in the California minimum wage of $13.25/hour coming in a couple months, that's under half the cost of having a human do it. AND, as more manufacturers develop and refine technologies such as these, the prices will get cheaper.

I just got to use a McDonald's sales kiosk yesterday, it's okay, took a little longer than with a human, I was able to get what I wanted, without worrying about something being lost in translation or the order taker not listening/caring. I guess you could say it eliminated an error-inducing link for the order.
    Allene likes this.
  2. MemphisMark

... and sometimes the testing doesn't go right the first time... ‘Flippy,’ the fast food robot, turned off for being too slow.

Actually what happened was the demand spiked beyond his capability because everyone wanted to see him in operation.

I just had a similar instance of that myself. The ATMs I service have a "Scaleable Deposit Module" where you can stick a stack of mixed cash and checks into it and it will count the cash, endorse the checks and put everything into the appropriate deposit bins. It's a good machine with a one major flaw, it uses a $25 consumable part to help separate the stack and the problem is it's damn near impossible to replace it. The cover to get at it only opens barely enough to get your fingers in and other things that would be hard to describe. In fact, all of the access panels barely open enough to extract jammed media.

Anyway, a company we contract with for the SDM came out with the "SDM2" that eliminates the need for that part, the access panels open a lot wider and other improvements. The bad news is nowhere near as reliable. It uses a new module to get the media to the proper bins and an even slightly worn bill gets jammed up in the "5-way" requiring my intervention to set things right. Once machine we were visiting 2-4 times a day.... It's reliability is low enough a customers doesn't want the SDM2 for the deposit option in their new ATMs, it's going with the older SDM.
    Allene likes this.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

I read that article the other day. :) I figured there'd be a few snafus.

Re the ATMs, I stopped using them years ago. My sister was attacked at one of them years ago back home. It was a bunch of guys with handkerchiefs hiding their faces. They knocked her down and tried to rob her, but she pulled off the mask of one of them, so they had to get out of there fast.
  4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I am surprised ATM's are still a thing. Everywhere you go you can pay by debit card. Many vending machines accept debit cards. And then every place you can use your debit card allows cash back in varying amounts. Many banks allow deposits by snapping a pic of both sides and sending it in.
    Allene likes this.
  5. Arc

Arc Full Member

I actually will go years without using an ATM for the many good examples and reasons you cite. (Remember in the years past when ATMs were probably one of the greatest monetary conveniences ever invented for use by the average person?)

Since I go so long between use I sometimes walk up to an ATM and I realize don't initially know how to work it due to the fact they so dramatically redesign their layout or interface periodically. It's actually kind of embarrassing at how "stupid" I feel at those times.
    Allene likes this.
  6. Allene

Allene Registered User

That's the way I felt when they started getting us to swipe credit cards ourselves. After I got used to that, they introduced the chipped cards, so another learning experience, but I like it now.
  7. Arc

Arc Full Member

When it comes to having to stick my chip card into the machine the experience is such that I would much rather prefer to stick it somewhere else.

First, the machines instructions screens and or different buttons are unreadable unless you have your magnifying or reading glasses ready. Then the card reader machine is usually tilted downward at about a 75-degree angle making the slot for the card functionally invisible. Try looking down at those things when you are 6'4" tall.

Then when you stick the card in half the time it says there is an error of some type, try again. The cashier then has to re-prep the machine. People in line behind you are getting annoyed. Now the receipt. Cashier prints out a receipt for your two items that is long enough to record the bible on it.

Meanwhile, the easy use of NFC to pay with your smartphone usually isn't available because the various different companies involved in handling electronic card transactions want the whole pie and so they don't want to share the "charge" of the electronic transaction with whichever smartphone technology you use. (God, Apple Pay, for instance, is so easy AND secure.)
    Allene likes this.
  8. Allene

Allene Registered User

:rolf-53: I've been through all of that except for the height difference. I am barely 5 foot 2, so the machine is practically in my face, but some machines are harder to get the card into than others. I've been handed one of those long receipts lots of times too, usually at the pharmacy, along with the "how to take this drug and survive it" paperwork. I also need to put my phone number into the machine so the pharmacy can honor my rewards card, and so on and so on. All this is supposed to save time, right?:rolleyes:
  9. MemphisMark

I know what you guys mean. I was buying something at a store the other day and the cashier said, "strip down, facing me." I proceeded to do so, grumbling about new Homeland Security bullshit. That's when the police were called and I found out she meant the card, not me.

Seriously, I tell the cashiers nowadays, "I have to answer more questions on the card reader than I do on my federal tax forms."

Besides, it makes it hard to be tracked if you use cash and no "buyer points" card. That's why you want to stick with cash.
    Allene likes this.
  10. Allene

Allene Registered User

LOL! If I use cash all the time, it means either going to the bank or the ATM. Too much trouble for me. I live out of town.
  11. MemphisMark

Then never, never come to Memphis.

Allene likes this.