1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Money Money---Show Me the Money

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

If you haven't had your evening cup of cynicism yet, wander on over to opensecrets.org to get your minimum daily requirement. While I'm sure most of us are aware of the site, if you're like me, we often forget to check it when controversial pieces of legislation pop up and we're all asking "What Were They Thinking?"

Some of the things that popped out at me concerning the last election were things like how pitifully small the number of individual contributors are with respect to the total population. Another was the list of major contributors. Be sure to change the view to "source of funds" to see how they broke their contributions down...soft money, PAC etc.

Another interesting demographic was the breakdown by industry. Anyone surprised that it's the trial lawyers giving the lion's share? Then for fun, take at look at which candidates spent the most and the soft money transfers to states.

Opensecrets.org is a most valuable tool for figuring out why votes go the way they do in government. Be sure to check out the breakdown by state when you're in quandry as to things local.