1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile Plans Simplified

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Feb 17, 2017.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

screenshot_125.png

Arc likes this.
  2. Arc

Arc Full Member

LOL, there is no such thing Mobile Plans Simplified, but your post is one of the best attempts and examples that I've seen. Thanks for posting it.

I have VZW and one of the NEW single line single user plans is the one I switched as my new plan. Bottom line was I lowered my monthly bill by about 10 dollars a month will still retaining all my perks and features but increasing my data allowance by 2 1/2 times.

T-Mobile and Sprint to a lesser degree literally forced VZW to respond and offer more affordable and better featured plans. I've been with them since their inception so with them I've seen it all.

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

When I moved back to San Antonio, I went with AT&T. After watching them try to siphon funds out of my account 4 days prior to the actual due date, I dumped them and went over to Cricket.

70 bucks a month gives me unlimited everything (including calls to Canada and Mexico along with roaming anywhere in North America), including data with no throttling after "x" GB. My speeds are actually better with Cricket as well. I'm actually seeing 5 or more Gbps speeds while tethered to the notebook where I was lucky to see 1 or 2 Gbps with AT&T. Better coverage as well where I'll be moving to next week. As there are no broadband providers to speak of there (other than outrageously expensive wireless service), my phone will be my modem for the foreseeable future.

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Whats this "mandatory" e-billing and auto pay crap?

That must be for new VZ accounts, I don't have that, nor do I want it.

5. ethics

Ebilling is that they are not sending you monthly bills each month.
    Auto-pay is you either put a CC or a bank account so the amount is auto paid.

6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oh, I know what it is, I was just shocked to see them tag it as "mandatory".

I'm an adult.

I can pay my bills on my own and don't need a computer to F- it up for me.

7. Arc

Arc Full Member

It's not mandatory either for my new plan or any of my previous plans. Is it just mandatory for certain plans?

8. ethics

Unfortunately, your type are becoming a minority. Obviously because T-Mobile would NOT be using that as a perk if average person was responsible.

And Arc, you are getting raped with VZ. Have been for years. My wife is like you. Loyal to a cell company while showing her she can save HALF of what she pays for a better plan.

9. Arc

Arc Full Member

I've always acknowledged and understood that Verizon was the most expensive in terms of pricing plus in recent years also have offered poorer plan options. Because of that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone except in very limited or specific circumstances, (and those circumstances are becoming rarer with the passage of time.)

VZW worked for me only because of some freebies and perks that were specific to me. Nevertheless, I had been checking regularly the past six months other options in consideration of switching and was near doing that when the new plan came up at VZW that I switched to for phone. There are still cheaper options or better plans with T-Mobile and Sprint. One of those two companies I would never switch to even if they were free because in the long run "free" would have "costs" that I wouldn't be willing to put up with.

Cellular plans or more specifically cellular data plans have recently become murky as where I live recently added unlimited free WiFi at 80-90 mb down and up 24/7. :)

10. ethics

I should have added a disclaimer as I really do not know how the reception is over where you are with VZ vs other providers. I meant that statement solely for NYC. They are all the same as far as coverage, yet people choose VZ's crappier plans and higher prices.

11. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

In a lot of areas, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Not sure what the hell I would done if Cricket wasn't in this area. T-Mobile has horrid reception as well as I piggy backed on their networks from Canada all the way to Texas. My plan was supposed to give me high speed data on their network and I was lucky to get 2G speeds IF I was able to get reception. Hell, I didn't get a signal at all through the bottom half of Illinois, and according to T-Mobile's site, I should have had excellent reception throughout the state. Yeah... Right...

Decent reception with AT&T here, but man.. The company sucks. Been with Sprint in the past and you're OK as long as you're in a metropolitan area. Get out in the sticks and you're screwed. Verizon is offering service here as well, but after looking at their rates, I said screw that. Their unlimited isn't "unlimited".

Pity the FCC is getting gutted so soon after the elections. I'd have loved to see the cell companies get raked over the coals for promising unlimited data, but not really because "we'll make your speed painful when you go over our arbitrary limits".

Fuckers......

12. Arc

Arc Full Member

Coverage is a funny things with cellular companies. VZW in years past without a doubt nationwide systemic had the best coverage. Sure in certain areas they may be surpassed by others. No doubt about that. But overall they have been the top. The one thing that has changed the past five years in particular is the difference between the big three per their coverage has shifted dramatically with T-Mobil and Sprint having expanded their coverage and T-Mobil has especially increased their coverage on par or near par nationwide with VZW.

But...regarding specific areas some things don't make sense. I'm a serious road cyclist. Most of my workouts always include a climb up a 5.1 mile canyon that dead ends in the Santa Monica Mountains. What's strange is from about halfway up the canyon to the top there is little to no cellular coverage by any carrier. That doesn't make sense to me has the canyon is is rich dudes country as there are no side roads or cross traffic and the canyon road is the sole access to the high priced homes and quasi-mansions almost all of which are hidden from the road by vegetation, natural walls, and the residence set back far from the road and behind trees and geography. I figuratively bumped into President Obama one time on a ride there as he was visiting a home for fund raising and political support by the home's owner.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017