1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile Access

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Biker, Feb 9, 2009.

?

Would you use your mobile device to interact with the site?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I'd like you folks to think long and hard on this one. Before I contemplate adding the additional code for mobile devices, I'd like to get a feel for how many would actually use the ability to access the site from your mobile device. I'm not talking just reading posts, but really USE your mobile device to interact with the site.

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Hell yes...that would be awesome!!!

Of course, if it's a ton of work, I would certainly understand if it doesn't happen.

3. Greg

Greg Full Member

I voted "no" simply because I'm one of those people who just wants a cellphone to be a phone and nothing else. I have no plans to have an Internet mobile device for the indefinite future, and part of the reason is the recession, my reduced income, and the desire to stay in a budget.

4. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Hell yes. In fact, I already do. Not all the time, but relatively frequently. Several times a week.

5. Biker

Yes, it'll be a ton of work. However, if there's enough interest AND if it really will be used, I'll consider doing it. But if this is going to be one of those things where it's used at first because it's a novelty, then it starts to collect dust, I'm not going to do it.

6. tke711

Same, and while GA as is isn't too bad on the iPhone, I would love something that would act a little quicker.

As a side note, maybe this poll should be reserved to only those who could access the site from their phone in the first place. ;)

7. Biker

What I have in mind will be able to be used by any mobile device. In other words, it's going to be toned down to its basic functions with no bells and whistles. No arcade, no fancy stuff.

8. tke711

I can only speak for myself, but know that I would post more from my phone if there was a mobile version. I already check in almost daily from my iPhone, but probably only compose a post from it every few days.

9. tke711

Sounds perfect. Just the ability to read and post. That's all I would need.

10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I have iPhone and do access and post from it, and it's fine. The investment in time vs. gain is a bit out.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

11. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

I would but I wouldn't use it that much. A little work for me it would be worth it, but a ton of work I think would make it a pass.

12. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I have already posted here from my iPhone, too.

13. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Hell yes indeed!
    ...and ditto.

14. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

As it is now, no. If I get the BB in the next couple of weeks, yeah I'd probably use it some from work while on breaks. All depends on on the pricing on the Curve II, or whatever device I end of with, and it will change my phone plan as well and internet is different with each phone.

15. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

You bet I would use it. I've posted from my Blackberry in the past, but something that was optimized for mobile would be great.

16. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I have occasionally posted from my Palm Pilot via local network. A mobile setup would make that easier.

17. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I occasionally do pop in here on my MDA when I'm doing things like I did today, sit in a waiting room for hours for my wife's outpatient surgery.. and it was painfully slow to do so.

Granted, it's not that big of a deal to me if it does get done, but it would make life easier to access if this were available, and possibly would pop in more knowing it was easier.

18. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I am visiting the site from home and from work (although not supposed to except at lunch). There I have computers and big screens. I am traveling very little so can so it is something I would probably not take advantage of. If I were to retire and had the money to travel more I might change that opinion. These are the same reasons I have not seriously considered the IPhone, just isn't doing things I do not do with other devices or do not need on a mobile basis.

19. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

I have no problem using this site with my current phone. This would be an interesting option to have but to tell the truth I tend to bypass the "mobile" version and use the full version of most web sites anyway.

20. Biker

If I do this, mobile devices will be automatically directed to the mobile style and will not have the option of changing the style.