1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by EMIG, Nov 11, 2002.

1. EMIG

EMIG Yup

So a few years back I bought Everquest, and it seemed like the game I'd always wanted to play.

A few years and lots of griefers later, I gave up on it.

I still miss it sometimes, in that some of the zones were truly beautiful. I sometimes want to walk around in a different world.

So my question is, is there anything better? An alternate world without power-levelers and oversexed adolescents?

What I've heard about Dark Age of Camelot is not encouraging.
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Oh EMIG, we have so much in common here. :)

I've given up and returned to EQ back and forth and finally found a home. It's not what game you play, it's what server you choose. Hint Hint.

Firiona Vie server, which was added to the adults who enjoy roleplaying (it's NOT a must, since I am not all that in to RP). What this does is create an environment that kids these days would get bored fast, and the adults will fall in love with the environments and people's atttitude.

No Shouts, not more powerleveling (can't cast beneficial spells to anyone 20 level less than you, and you can only have ONE character for that entire server.

If you are truly done with EQ, then I would NOT get DaoC since it's very similar to EQ in many ways. They say there's no camps, but there's too many to list. They say that the quests are dynamic, but they aren't if the same level/class is seeking the same item as you on a spawned MOB.

If I were to give DaoC a pat on the back it's the way they have innovated PvP. No griefers, no chats, multiple realms to separate the babies. ;)

But that's where it ends. The lands are beautiful but small, and cartoonish. The battlesystem is ok, some things done better than EQ, many things worse.

THE game everyone is waiting for is Shadowbane. Which will be like EQ as far as first person perspective, but also like UO in which you will be able to build housings. That's right, your own villa by the beach.

Problem with SB is that it will probably come out towards the end of 2003.

Asheron's Call 2 is coming out in about 2 weeks also, if you like that sort of a game.
  3. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Re: Re: MMORPGs?

I've been EQ-free for almost a year now. I'm kinda proud of that...
    I followed the SB development for a while. I even suggested a feature (having to do with clan politics) that was eventually adopted. No credit was given. Not that any was merited, the feature was suggested by a co-worker that's into hard-core war sims. But a beta account would've been nice...

In any case - I got tired of waiting. I'll almost certainly give them $50 of my hard earned, if they ever come up with anything (I even bought AO). But I wish they'd get on with it already.
  4. ethics

AO was a bust. Many of my friends were waiting for AO for months and actually left EQ to go on AO. Needless to say AO was the biggest piece of crap since WWII Online.
  5. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Re: Re: MMORPGs?

I still say that separating PvP onto different shards is the wrong approach. If I were to design a MMORPG, I would not have different servers for PvP activity. I'd set up different zones in the game world where PvP is possible. For example, you could set up 2/3 of the world where PvP simply can not happen unless it is a mutal dual. The remaining 1/3 of the world would be a much more dangerous place where people are free to attack one another. If you don't want to PvP, stay out of those zones. There would be plenty to do in the non-PvP zones, but the best of the best as far as items and monsters would be located in the PvP zones. The risks in those zones would be much greater, so the rewards would be greater. Perhaps the rewards would be great enough even to attract people who generally don't like PvP to seek them out.

In my opinion, PvP should be encouraged. Back when I was playing Ultima Online, what I found most exciting was the danger of being outside of town. I liked trying to fight the bad guys and help the good guys. After a while, I actually found a type of respect for the reds(murderers). They gave me something to do! Monsters get boring after long, but mean people are always fun to hunt down. And I guess for some people being mean can be fun too. It's up to the game developers to maintain a balance that both sides can enjoy. If you allow people who want no part in it a safe haven in the form of special servers, you take away from the natural balance. The main problem is in prventing the bad guys from having an unfair advantage and creating a world that is overly chaotic. A penalty system would need to be in place to prevent this from happening.

A zone system like this was planned for Ultima Online 2, but that project was scrapped. I tried to get into EQ a few times, but I just couldn't do it. I found it to be boring and nothing but a fancy chat room. I used to refer to it as NeverQuest. ;)
  6. ethics

Re: Re: Re: MMORPGs?

Red, you just described DaoC's PvP. :) The Realms I was speaking of is that 1/3 of the land where you go against each other. Realms are divided in to 3 separate races/classes. It's like the Celts, vs the Nords, vs. the Brits. You can still duel your own but out in the PvP area you gain more experience and more points skills. In other words, PvP is encouraged in order to have more strength in your character and unleash new skills that would be available to them.

In my opinion, PvP should be encouraged. Back when I was playing Ultima Online, what I found most exciting was the danger of being outside of town. I liked trying to fight the bad guys and help the good guys. After a while, I actually found a type of respect for the reds(murderers). They gave me something to do![/quote]

I am ashamed to admit that I was rooting for Trammel. After it was applied I saw the ways of my thinking folly. It ruined the game and you have touched upon why it was fun in the UO.

Under 20th level it is excrutiating. There's no fun there, the people are new to their classes and most of the time do not know what they should be doing. I started a new rogue two days ago and the cleric was constantly apologizing for not being good at fighting. We were like, sit your ass down, meditate (mana for heals) and do NOT fight. Leave it to the tanks. Needless to say he didn't listen. Druid in our group left because he wanted to melee also and didn't want to back up heal. *shrug*.

We should get a GA EQ team going on FV server. If we have enough people it could be the most fun you have had with your clothes on. :)
  7. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Re: Re: Re: Re: MMORPGs?

That could be very fun. My only concern would be that I might end up getting addicted to it the way I was with UO.

By the way, I can't belive I described DAoC's PvP system! I didn't know, honest! Do I take it that in the PvP zones, you may only fight people of different realms? Of so, then that is a little different from what I described. Interesting...so the game forces people to choose a 'team?'
  8. ethics

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MMORPGs?

Yep. Three different realms, can't engage in PvP until you are 20, technically, and about 40 realistically. People choose different classes, make them a certain size hoping to either get more attention from the enemies or less attention (healers).
  9. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Leon, you are an evil, evil man. I stayed up 'til 3 AM on Sunday re-activating EQ, and starting up a wizard on FV (and drinking). Needless to say I was a mess at work on Monday. I've only just now recovered, and I have 300 posts to digest on this board alone.

In any case, I remember some other things I didn't like about EQ: Combat is just plain boring. Click-click-click someone dies (usually you at the lower levels.) No tactics to speak of.

Also Wizards were one of the most badly broken classes (rogue was the other, IIRC.)

Anway, I'll start up an Enchanter if you're serious. We might have trouble coordinating time, since I'm PDT, and I can't play before 8:30 or so due to family and work obligations.

Playing a 'chanter in a good group was probably responsible for most of the positive experiences I had in that game, tho'. (Playing same on a bad group can incredibly frustrating also. E.g. "Will you please quit attacking the critter I just mezzed?!!?)
  10. ethics

LOL! EMIG.

Isn't FV nice? I mean, I HAVE to roleplay with people since my character is an Erudian Female. I get all kinds of "gifts" from men! :)

Well, my wife is actually hooked on FV also. She says it's now just like it was many years ago when we first started. No plats, no equipment and barely money to buy spells BUT, it's fun as hell. :)

After 3 days I am only level 6 Mage, while the wife is level 8 Druid.

Look me up when you are on, my character's name is Diannis. Enchanter would be oh so perfect for our little group, especially once you hit 18. ;)

Hopefully the time won't be too much of a factor, but there's always weekends!!! Besides, this week I am home. ;)
  11. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Wow, when I was married, I was a level one toilet scrubber and my wife was a level ten empress.

12. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Wife (mine) sez: And you wonder why you're not married anymore?

(Edit: She explains she expects her men to be at least level 3 toilet scrubbers.)