1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[MLB] Setting up a GA Fantasy Baseball League

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Copzilla, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Guys, I love fantasy sports online. Any others out there?

I play on Sandbox.com, but they're kind of crappy about spam... Be sure and use a throwaway Hotmail email... I know a lot of people play on Yahoo and others.

Anyway, when baseball season begins, I would love to set up a GA Baseball League on Sandbox or elsewhere.

Anyone interested, please post, we'll do it!
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I'm in.

I am currently in Yahoo's NHL league and they do a decent job, certainly MUCH better than sandbox.

If we get a big turnout perhaps ESPN?
  3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I like baseball. But I don't understand how fantasy leagues run. Can anybody enlighten me?
  4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Shiny, it's a pure blast.

But points really depend on the type of league, if it's a rotisserie or salary cap style, or if it's a head-to-head or fantasy point league.

I'm guessing the best bet would be a fantasy point league. You have the entire MLB roster of players, and we all draft teams in order. Then you're awarded points based on how well your players play. Like if you had Randy Johnson pitching one night, you might get 1 point for everyone he struck out, which might be say 12 points there. Then you get 3 points for every inning he pitched (8 innings - 27 total), and then another 10 points for a win. Then you deduct 5 points for 5 hits against him, and 2 points for two walks, 2 points for two runs. That's 40 points for one pitcher game, which would be very good.

Then because you drafted Randy Johnson (who always goes high), your next pitcher was Maddox (yawn). He pitched 5.1 innings (+16), got 3 strikeouts (+3), 4 hits (-4), 2 runs (-2), a walk (-1), hit a batter (-1) and lost (-5) score 2 to 1 to Shane Reynolds. So you have a pretty good pitcher who only gave you 6 points for an outing, a score which sucks, and will drive you crazy.

Hitters have similar type stats - 1 point for a hit and 1 point for every extra base beyond the first. 1 point for a walk, 1 for an RBI, 1 for a run. So a solo home run is a hit (+1), 3 extra bases (+3), an RBI (+1) and a run (+1) for 6 total points. A grand slam is a home run +3 more RBIs for 9 points total. Hitters get -1 for strikeouts (so sub them out if they're going against Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, Pedro Martinez, et al), -1 for errors, etc...

Then there's injuries to think about. If your player drops out, you have to work the waiver wire or propose a trade to another player to fill in the gaps.

It's a season long process, but it's very fun.

--- Ethics, ESPN is good for me... I don't like their scoring as well as Sandbox, but they don't kill you with spam either. I've never played Yahoo fantasy baseball, that might be good too.
  5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Copz has a great answer but do what many people do, join up and learn along with everyone giving you hints (not too much because one year the guy who was given advice actually won). ;)
  6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Assuming I will have internet all year I will be glad to join.