1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

misnomers

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by cdw, Jan 28, 2003.

1. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

an obvious misnomer

this is just too funny.

But, it's been happening alot... I watched an interview with a woman who was heading a "peace rally". Behind her throughout the interview was one of the attendees with a huge sign saying...

DEATH TO AMERICA

I was so pissed because the interviewer didn't pick up on it and ask the question as to why a sign urging death to a nation would be found to be appropriate for a peace rally and what was the REAL reason they were all there.
    What the heck... you want to march against the US? cool, go for it, but at least put it out there... don't hide behind peace.

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Wow. Funny stuff. Well, not funny funny, but funny in a very sad and twisted way.

SM

3. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Uhh, this is the story that I get when I click on your link:

<i>Peace rally goes up in flames
    23/01/2003 20:13 - (SA)

Bhopal, India - Indian priests engaged in a six-week prayer rally for world peace torched the event's venue after a pay dispute, prompting a free-for-all brawl, according to police.

Some 200 Hindu priests from across India began the 45-day prayer ceremony in mid-December with the stated goal of bringing peace to the world, in an event promoted by the country's ruling Hindu nationalists and opposition parties alike.

But as the ceremony neared its finale, the priests grew agitated because they had not been paid for their services, police said.

Emotions spilled over Thursday when several of the holy men set fire to tents set up for the ritual. Residents, fed up after 42 days of round-the-clock prayers blasted out of loudspeakers, stormed onto the field and set upon the rampaging priests.

Police forced the rioters off the site with wooden clubs.

Several people were hurt but none of the injuries were serious, police said.

The brawl cost an estimated 200 000 rupees ($4 200) worth of damage to the venue. The priestly rioters, however, did not touch the central tent in the field which featured idols of Hinduism's major gods and goddesses. </i>

4. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Well, it was a peace rally that ended up with the participants becoming very non-peaceful. A misnomer, of sorts. Like the other example Cyd gave of going to a peace rally with a sign saying "death to america".

5. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

yes, that's the story...
    the PRIESTS set the fires after praying for days and chanting for peace. But then they got pissed 'cause they weren't being paid.
    To me, obviously they don't believe what they are preaching.

6. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

OH ok, I was looking for the one with the peace sign that said death to america. DOH! ;) SOWWY

Maybe those priests were practicing to be televangelists? ;)