1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microslop does it again....

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Robert Harris, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Excerpt from todays BBC news, posted withoug comment:

Microsoft has warned of a "critical" security flaw in some versions of its popular Windows operating system.

The problem affects older versions of Windows such as 2000, Millennium, and 98, but not its newest version, Windows XP.

The flaw could allow malicious hackers to get into a computer, change webpages or reformat a hard drive.

This is the 65th security bulletin issued by Microsoft so far this year.

Full story at:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2498363.stm

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I guess the pro-linux contingent here will be rubbing this in our face?

How safe is Linux anyway? Aside from the split of Kernel?

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Thats a good question Leon.

I've always wondered just how many flaws or vulnerabilities would be found in Linux if the hackers of the world concentrated the same amount of effort finding them as they do with Microsoft products.

4. Domh

Domh Full Member

BINGO - and therein lies the rub.

You put enough energy in it, you can find holes in anything.

I find bashing Microsoft to be pretty lame. Its shooting fish in a barrell, and seems a favorite pasttime of l33t h4xz0r chumps who probably should be doing their homework instead of camping in CS.

:rolleyes:

5. jamming

jamming Banned

Their was a report that I have seen referenced that shows all the things (about 20+) in WinXP that try to phone home to MS Servers including the Intellipoint Mouse Drivers. This is the major hold up for me about upgrading in XP.

6. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Not necessarily. If said article includes the actual domain names it attempts to connect, you can just edit your HOSTS file to set them all to 127.0.0.1. Then it can't phone home. :)

7. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Linux itself is very secure. However the programs that it runs generally get lots of security bulletins, being updated daily. There are also many things you can do to secure and lock down your Linux box to make the CIA want to cry trying to break in. It isn't so much that Microsoft is insecure because of all the insecurities that are found, its the ones that aren't...

8. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

Stating fact and not to be bias about it, I switched my servers over from NT 4.0 and 2000 server for the simple fact that UNIX and Apache are the lions share of the internet and it is just easier to crack a Win32 box. *Nix source is open and by pear review strength the system is much harder to crack. Viruses, the few that have been written for *nix have been almost moot because they can't get root rights. Aside from some buffer overflow vulnerabilities which both Win32 and *nix have found problems, *nix comes out on top.

MS has never taken security seriously and the ease of use of MS, is it's bigest vulnerability. For me I have had to learn a whole new way of doing things and has made me learn and read a lot more, but it has been a worth wile experience and I revel in my new found knowledge.

Unix Crack attempts are just as large as MS and all I have to do is look at my log files and see such. On a Win32 server you would more than likely be looking at a cracked box serving spam as a host to much nefarious activity.

I am happy that GA is running *nix

:thumbsup:

9. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

This is the same reason why most Mac users don't have to worry about viruses. If someone wants to do damage to peolpe's data, why not go after the OS that most are using? I have a feeling that there are quite a lot of security issues with Mac OS and Linux, but not as many people care to find them, to expose them or even to abuse them.

10. fritzmp

The avrege user does not know that and should not have to do this right out of the box. Big Brother.

11. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Sorry, but that is just not the case. Apache runs the majority of the sites on the web, and it's had far fewer problems than IIS.

12. Domh

Domh Full Member

Right thats sort of the point. Granted, Unix based OS is a vastly superior OS compared to windows and Apache is a vastly better web service than ISS.

All im saying is that if Microsoft somehow 'owned' unix and apache, there would be a zillion crackers out there looking for, finding and making holes.

13. fritzmp

Trust me, they already try.

14. EMIG

EMIG Yup

There are a zillion crackers out there looking for and finding holes in Linux and Apache. Big differences are: Far fewer are found, and a fix is usually also found and posted usually within days.

You posit hate of Microsoft drives crackers. What drives you to that conclusion?

15. Domh

Domh Full Member

Um, its mostly the rampant hate of microsoft amongst the highly computer literate set, thats all.

;)