1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michellin Putting RFID Tags in EVERY Tire

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 21, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Got this from slashdot:

According to the RFID Journal, Michelin (the tire manufacturer) has <a href="http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/articleview/269/1/1/"> announced</a> that it is planning on embedding RFID transmitters into every tire.

The article states that 'the microchip stores the tire's unique ID, which can be associated with the vehicle identification number.'

What are the pros and cons of this?

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Pros: I might be able to track anybody I want.

Cons: Some a$$hole might be able to track me.

What speed is a moving vehicle moving before it cannot be read by a sensor at intersections or in the road?

3. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

Pro: If your tires are stolen, they can be found.
    Con: They can track you.

Pro: If some punk steals your car, it can be found.
    Con: Then can track you.

Pro: They can track your teenage kid.
    Con: They can track you.

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

The RF ID tagging as is done in many warehouses and manufacturing facilities has such a weak signal that I doubt they can track you. Typically, the systems I've set up with this technology have a readable range of no more than a couple hundred feet. It is most likely for no other purpose than they've stated.

5. ShinyTop

I would not question their reason. With our current AG I question what other use can be made of it.

6. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Is my week up already? Okay, here's the cynic hat back. I will grant your concerns are merited...and no doubt someone is looking for an exploit as I type this response; however this technology isn't particularly well suited to that type of intrigue...other than what could happen if someone buys a new car and has some spiffy custom wheels and tires installed...then pity the fool who bought those tires and whose rights get trashed while they look for the owner of the car the tires originally came off of.

7. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

It can be reprogrammed and the range is 24". It said in the article that it took a lot to get a 24" range. I am not worried about it being tracked. If you get custom wheels put on, then the "old" tires can be reprogrammed. No big deal.

wapu

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

From the article:
    <i>The US Congress passed the TREAD (Transportation, Recall, Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation) Act in the wake of the Firestone/Ford Explorer debacle. The act mandates that car makers closely track tires from the 2004 model year on, so they can be recalled if there's a problem. This technology could be available for the 2005 model year.

But Michelin claims to be the first to meet the Automotive Industry Action Group's B-11 standard for North America, which calls for a read distance of 24 inches. Achieving that range has been a challenge because the rubber makes it harder to read the tag.

The Fairchild and Philips chips are based on Intermec's Intellitag. Saleem Miyan, Philips global strategic business manager for RFID products, says his company made some refinements to the Intellitag design, which it has licensed from Intermec.The Philips I-Code HSL chip operates at 868-915 MHz stores about 2 kiliobytes of information. It is currently available only in sample quantities. it will be mass-produced starting in the middle of the year. </i>

According to this article, I derive 3 things about these chips:

1. They are a solution to a government-mandated change in tire tracking after the Firestone fiasco, that cost several people their lives because Firestone/Ford were unable to track tires. It's a simple solution that might just work.

2. At a read distance of only 24 inches (about 2 feet), it's going to be really hard for other government agencies to use these chips to track people - unless they imbed readers on the asphalt, in the way of those reflectors, and even then, there's no gaurantee that they'll be able to read them because the tires could be moving too fast, etc.

3. Since it's on some sort of radio frequency, it is only a matter of time before someone comes out with either a scrambler or jammer.

I'm not too worried. I'm more worried about my movements being tracked with my Epass than with a chip inside my tire.

9. ShinyTop

I am not a conspiracy theorist. But we now have the government passing a law that allows all kinds of stretchings/breakings of the right to be protected from illegal searches. They want to use your IP address. The way I read the article Michelin has already extended the range of the device from 3 inches to 24 inches. I can really see the government saying all they need is about 50 feet and inexpensive sensors could be placed where they want or perceive the need. My key fob has a higher range than 50 feet and its lasted over 5 years now, so it would seem that having one for the life of a tire is not a great leap. We then have people saying, so what, only the people who want to hide what they do would object.

I guess this is a lot like facial recognition software and cameras in public places. I like both ideas for crime fighting. But how do you make sure that AG's like Ashcroft do not extend the use for tracking those who look like Muslims? Considering the religious right agenda of this administration how do you assure me that they will not decide to track those who object to religion in government? Who to track and for what reasons seem to be totally up to the AG at this point in time. And there's the rub. No matter how much we point to the Bill of Rights we still have simple minded little men who occasionally acquire power. Most of you know I am supportive of Bush in some areas, notably our actions in regards to Iraq. But Ashcroft and he who appointed and supports his actions, our dear president, are as small minded as they come with regards to the rights of citizens. I have no doubt they believe in them but I think they only believe in them for good Americans, a very narrow definition from their viewpoint.