1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michael Moore Caught?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 21, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Years From Now They'll Call it 'Payback Tuesday'," Moore wrote in a hyperbolic letter urging his fans to vote in the U.S. elections Nov. 5. The full letter, posted to michaelmoore.com two days before the vote, predicted, "We will deny Bush control of the Congress next week ... Expect a wake-up call from me at your bedside 6 a.m. Tuesday!"

After Republicans handily won majorities in both the House and Senate, the essay disappeared from Moore's site.

The irony of Moore - who ambushes executives and politicians on film with their own statements -- apparently trying to erase his own words was too rich even for some of his fans.

Full Wired Article Here

What is sad, is that he even removed the message post referring to this. As one of his fans said, "Hey -- anyone can be wrong; there's no shame in that -- and to be brave means taking the risk of being wrong -- but also to face up to it."

2. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Looks like what Mr. Moore is denying, is the truth.

3. EMIG

EMIG Yup

This is soo rich in so many ways... I'm speechless!

4. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Micheal Moore is that guy with the baseball cap and glasses, right?

5. ethics

Yes... :)

[​IMG]

6. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I knew it! He can dish it out but he can't take it! Of course, his true believers will not change their opinion of him. He will not re-evaluate himself. So it goes with those who *know* they must get in your face before they can make themselves heard.

What a waste of talent.

7. ethics

Plastic has the following to say about his movie also:

Michael Moore's latest film, Bowling for Columbine, poses many questions about the impact of guns on American society. Moore doesn't <a href="http://www.laweekly.com/ink/02/47/film-powers.php">really present a clear answer to his own question</a>(Scroll down for the nasty review), but he points the finger at everything from American foreign policy through welfare-to-work programs to a 'culture of fear' promoted by the newsmedia...

...He does not explain why the United Kingdom, a partner in the NATO action against Kosovo, has low gun deaths, and he ignores that many Canadians have access to American television and were exposed to the same 'culture of fear' but still do not commit as many gun crimes. <a href="http://www.reason.com/hod/bd101802.shtml">Moore has not responded to criticisms</a>, but none of this has hurt the film's popularity with critics or its modest comparative success in the box office...

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I actually went to see that $#%&* movie. I lasted less than 20 minutes. I freakin' hate being:

a.) assaulted with straw man arguments
    b.) having questions begged at me that cannot stand scrutiny
    c.) being talked down to as if I am a child
    d.) squirrely statistical information used to soften the emotions

That said, it should probably garner its fair share of awards...perhaps both the movie and Michael will be in Venice my next trip :rolleyes:

9. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

Coot, where is that Monkey Magic link? :)

10. EMIG

EMIG Yup

OT: Reason

Isn't Reason a great magazine Ehtics?

11. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Ahhh...yes, thanks for the reminder.

Bobbing for Columbine Anyone?

12. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Moore has always been 100 perecent predictable in every way. He will always let you down if you are seeking the truth and intergrity.

I remember well his Oscar nominated film "Roger and Me."

He took a true and poweful story which was the American auto industry at a certain period of time made many irresponsible and callous decisions and in the process financially destroyed the lives of thousands and the whole economy of towns such as Flint, Michigan.

The sad part is he didn't tell the story accurately but instead added a lot of half-truths, out of context stuff, and cheap shoted a whole lot of people with the sole purpose of making him looking witty and talented and not to expose the auto industry.

13. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

That's right, but Roger and Me was universally hailed at the time as "bravura filmmaking," I seem to recall (and I believe I caught that from a rag called Film Threat).

I never saw it in its entirety, because something about it rubbed me wrong. Moore--damn, why does this nutjob have my surname?--likes to paint with a lot of colors, but has a tendency to refer to red as blue, and black as white.

I dislike that. :)

SM

14. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Let's see...

Mr. Moore

...doesn't tell the story accurately,

...adds half truths,

...cheap shots people to make himself look witty and talented,

...talks down to us,

...can dish it out, but can't take it,

...doesn't present a clear answer to his own question,

...will not re-evaluate himself,

...his true believers will not change their opinion of him,

...ambushes politicians with their own statements, etc,

Damn. With those impressive credentials, he certainly belongs in Washington.

15. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

How come I only see him on T.V. when he is promoting something? Does he consider it a waste of his time to debate issues that are important to him if he can't make any money? If he had half the passion he claims he would stay engaged in the debate regardless of his pocket book.

16. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

This is a good week. Michael and Jesse, two experts at self promotion in the guise of catching others getting their nuts roasted. Just a beer away from "It doesn't get any better than this."

17. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

The same could be said about Rush Limbaugh...

18. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

The same could be said about Al Gore....Daschle....

Your point? Again, like many liberals you fail to answer, rather you just deflect. Immortal one's post was not <b>THE</b> post, rather it was a supportive post. You should try answering the main post instead of not ansering and just phumpering around.

19. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Yes, it certainly could. However, I think Michael Moore uses a lot more smoke and mirrors than Rush does. Both are equally abrasive to me, though. They are both poster boys for their respective political camps. This particular thread pertains to Moore, so naturally posters are going to focus on him.

20. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Oh fine since everyone wanted it...

My opinion as far as Mike Moore goes is that he is a good person, who has a mission. As far as this particular letter goes, most likely it was deleted not because he was caught being wrong, but because he was either upset that things didn't go his way and did it out of frustration, or he felt that after what happened, happened he felt it looked out of place. As far as Bowling for Columbine, I saw it, and thought it an excellent movie. Of course its biased that's no different than what I would expect if I were to read a book or see a movie by Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reily, or Phil Donahue. They all are advocates for their particular political camps. What you need to do is look beyond the messages and biasedness (is that a real word?) and take a look first at the points they're trying to make and was the movie itself a good piece of work. As far as Michael Moore's movie, no he doesn't find the answer to his own question. I think he even states that himself in the movie. However as we have always been taught its not about getting their, but the journey that we take in search of seeking an answer to our question. However it was a good movie. He has a talent for being able to mix humor with these serious subjects which is something that can be very hard to do.