1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

message for a very far future

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by claire, Dec 17, 2002.

1. claire

claire Registered User

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I think, or at least I'd like to think, that everytime I post something, someway, somehow, I am leaving a message for the future.

Arrogant? Self-centered? Perhaps, but in a positive way, I hope I help, touch, make someone feel better/good, everyday.

3. claire

claire Registered User

A good and positive answer Ethics.
    We're seeing seldom optimistics opinions.It's a pleasant
    change for once:)

4. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Re: Re: message for a very far future

This raises an interesting question.

Books are only quasi-permanent. Sure, there are some documents that are centuries old, perhaps millenia old (dead sea scrolls, for example, or what's left of them), but they won't last forever. Stone and metal engravings can last much longer, but that practice died out as a primary recording method about 3-4000 years ago.

Electronic storage media -- Magnetic tape, magnetic disks, laser and optical disks, etc. are less likely to deteriorate, but we need the right technology for this information to be displayed.

Is anything we write, either on paper or electronically, going to be available for future societies to ponder? If life on earth were to cease tomorrow (sorry Claire for the hint of pessimism), and become reinhabited in 1000 years, would anything we record be available?

5. claire

claire Registered User

That's indeed a great problem.Already now old programs
    or machines are almost unsuables because of the lack of knowledge of men who did not learn anymore the"old"
    computer's laguages and some new materials are unable to read the"old" recorded data due to a lack of compatibility.

But I am confident(sorry for the hint of optimism Coriolis
    ;) ) that men will find a solution if they consider it as
    important

:)

6. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Coriolis: Yeah, that is a problem. For example back when they tried to find when the first smiley was used. They had to find someone who specializes in old computers to get the proper reader for the media they were using to store it on. If you are vigilant and keep it up to date on the popular media format of the decade its no problem, but otherwise your screwed...

7. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

I hope you're right, but perhaps it's the skeptic in me that thinks otherwise. The year 2000 issue with computers is a good example. Now, it was far from the apocalypse that the "experts" were predicting, but it's a good example of how thinking for "here and now" rules the day, with a complete disregard for planning for the future.

However, I can think of no real solution to the question I posed. Word of mouth has worked for many thousands of generations before modern recording methods, but there's a slight reliability problem there. I hope the engraved glass disks on the space craft are shatter proof! :cool:

8. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

The reason everyone thinks for the here and now, is that in computers they become obsolete after 6-12 months. The average household will replace their PC every 3-5 years. The problem only comes in when an organization can't afford to upgrade, then they got all their data locked into an old system that you can't easily rollover to a new system thus requiring lots of man hours extending the usage of the computer far longer than intended by the manufacturor. The other case would be if something just keeps working, some organizations feel it it ain't broke don't fix it...

9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Or like my last company. When we upgraded backup drives they did not want to pay for the media and time to move the old data from the old machines. Came back to bite them on the ass when we had to farm out to another company retrieving some data from old media.

10. valgore

valgore Veteran Member

in 50,000 years the earth will have come full circle and the human race will be cavemen again. this thing will land and they will worship it like a god. religion is born and we'll all be right back here a few thousand years later talking about sending a message to the future. :)

is that optimisim or pessimism? :)