1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Member info pages

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Sharondippity, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

I noticed when checking who's online, that frequently guests are reading members' profile pages and the member list.
    Is there anyway to make this information available to registered members only?

2. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Interesting question.

I wonder if some of those guests were members from that "other site" and seeing familiar names decided to register.

I am not objecting Sharon,
    I was just wondering...

3. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

I'd like to know if there is a way to implement some user controls over privacy as well. I don't mind people, including Guests, being able to know that I am at the site. What I don't particularly care for is the ability to see where in the site I am at any particular moment. I would also prefer not to appear in the list of "users currently browsing this forum," if at all possible.

Is there any way this could happen?

4. Sharondippity

Re: Re: Member info pages

your cp options link

choose yes for invisible mode

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

DemiGoddess,

To get out of the "currently browsing list," do the following:

(1) Click on User CP

(2) Click on Edit Options

(3) Check the "Yes" box next to INVISIBLE MODE?

(4) Submit modifications.

Allene

6. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

Doh! I knew I shouldn't try to post while getting kids and cats settled and out of my hair! LOL!

I like being listed as online on the main page. Some folks wait to send PMs until they know you are online. Not being listed appears as if you are never there, therefore no PMs. (*Sniff* This is as close to to a "real life" as I can get!) Maybe I'm being too picky or whatnot, but I would prefer that it not be known exactly where on the site I am. Am I making any sense at all? Or should I just take my Butterfinger cocoa and go to bed and quit bothering you all??

;)

7. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Yes you are making sense, as security measures are important to all people, especially pretty women!

(flirting);)

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, I know what you mean now. I thought it was the main page you wanted to vanish from. I don't know how to hide you on the other pages. Maybe Leon can tell you.

Allene

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Guests can neither see your profile nor see who is online. When you see them "Viewing Profile" the page they see is for them to register or log in.

As for seeing who is here but not WHERE they are, well, that's something I have to look in to.

10. Sharondippity

It just gave me the creepies to see that almost each and every time I did that search
    guest "Viewing Profile of a Forum Member"

even as I write this it's saying that.

11. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

My solution - I haven't entered anything in there that I don't care if they know. Like my website. I wantz tha hitz, yo ;)

Other than that, my profile is kind of dumb. I chalk it up to my BBSing years, when the user profile was the 1 place you could be completely and utterly weird and people wouldn't think you were really weird :)

12. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Sharon,

Rest assured that 99% of the time a user is looking in to the profile, it's to quickly PM that person.

I use the profile myself most of the time for that reason.

13. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

LOL The talents of Ms. DIPPITY prevail once again. BTW, she has one heck of a good website. What would we do wiffout her here? You go, girl!!

14. jnick

jnick Stalking the Night

Look at it the same way you would if a Stranger was checking you out while walking past. ;)

15. Sharondippity

I like to do the checkin' !

16. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

DG goes into stealth mode....

hehehehhe {j/k}

:)

17. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Checks out website...

Leg shot;)!

http://sharondippity.com/news/images/boots.jpg

On a side note I persons webpage tells a lot about them. The ones people make tend to reflect their personality. For example I notice graphics people tend to have websites that look like everything blends well together and stuff, whereas UNIX people tend to make websites that are conservative, more text links and less images.