1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medical miracle?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mike, Jan 24, 2003.

1. mike

mike mesmerized

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/012103_nw_medical_miracle.html?<b><</b>br /

[snip]
    "Marcos was rushed from the scene to the emergency room of a hospital in Phoenix, Arizona. The doctors there had never seen such injuries. He had a broken clavicle, pelvis, tail bone and ribs, but that was not what stunned the doctors. His neck had technically been ripped off his head.

Normally the skull is attached to the neck by a thick ligament that runs from the base to the first vertebra. During the accident his head was ripped forward, which ripped his ligament. This opened up a space between the head and the neck.

There was a wide separation of the bone where the skull was ripped from the cervical spine, detaching the head from the neck. "

2. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

That certainly is a fascinating story, but the headline is a little misleading. THe man's head was not really 'reattached' because it was never fully detached. It is amazing to me that his spinal cord was not damaged, though.

This reminds me of something horrible that happened a few miles from here a few months ago. A young girl(12 or 13) was decapitated in a freak farming accident. Her father was operating a small crane, and somehow(I have no idea how) something broke and caused the cable to swing violently towards the girl. I know a man who works the 911 call center here, and he almost made me cry when he described the conversation his coworker had with the little girl's mother. The father sort of lost his mind temporarily and wouldn't let the medical personnel clean up the scene. With his daughter's body in his lap, he kept holding her head on top of her neck hoping it would bring her back. I think I would permanently lose my mind if I ever saw something as gruesome as this.

3. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

WOW - he's playing basketball again. Oh my god. There really is a God. And that day, he was with that young man and his doctors. Man, medical miracles...

And Rred, I've never heard that story, but I imagine I would probably have flipped out just like the father did. Only my case would be a more permanent one. Poor thing.

4. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Miracles happen every day. Most people are just too busy to notice them.

5. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

How very true. We should all slow down a little now and then to 'stop and smell the roses'. It's an amazing world we live in with wonderous events happening all the time if we but take the time to see them.

Mike