1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Coverage Not A Complete Waste

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mikeky, Dec 11, 2002.

1. mikeky

mikeky Member

<a href="http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/local/4713046.htm">'AMBER ALERT' TEST</a>
    Several have noted (and I agree) how the media can generate hysteria by latching on to a particular problem of the moment, such as the seeming rash of kidnappings last year. But maybe the hype is not all bad if it generates ideas like the above that can be implemented without extreme cost. Of course, the program might not be effective at all, but seems to be worth a try.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Many people said the same thing in defense of the media.

It CAN be a good thing but I truly believe, as with anything that is meant for good intentions, the freedom for abuse tends to overwhelm logic.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Hey, it worked wonders in California, when some guy in a white Bronco clipped two young girls. He raped them and was prepping to kill them when the cops arrived and shot him. They'd been alerted by an animal control official who saw the Amber flash and reported the vehicle he saw sometime later.

SM

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Good point, almost forgot about that case due to my self defense mechanism of rage.