1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

McDonald's Obesity suit dismissed

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Techie2000, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

NEW YORK (CNN) - A federal judge dismissed a lawsuit Wednesday that alleged food from McDonald's restaurants is responsible for making people obese.
    The landmark legal action was the first of its kind against a fast-food chain to make its way into a U.S. courtroom, but Judge Robert Sweet's ruling, five months after the original complaint, means it will go no further.

Read more at <A HREF="http://money.cnn.com/2003/01/22/news/companies/mcdonalds/index.htm">CNN.com</A>

2. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Wonderful news! Now, true justice will be served when McDonald's (which food I cannot stand, btw) sues for defamation. Hee hee!

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Wow....my faith may be partially restored in our legal system.

I'm glad that the suit was thrown out!

4. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

rofl You guys have to read the article techie posted.

<i>The girls are Jazlyn Bradley and Ashley Pelman. Bradley, 19, is 5 feet, 6 inches tall, and weighs 270 pounds. Pelman, 14, is 4-foot-10 and 170 pounds.

Bradley said that a McMuffin for breakfast and a Big Mac meal for dinner was her regular diet. Pelman preferred the Happy Meals and used to eat at McDonald's three or four times a week.

Bradley's father, Israel, said he never saw anything in the Bronx restaurants that informed him of the food's ingredients. "I always believed McDonald's was healthy for my children," he said in an affidavit. </i>

WOW. They actually had the balls to claim they thought it was healthy. rofl

5. Techie2000

Yeah, that's what killed me too when I read it...

6. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

To put it into perspective, I'm 8 inches taller than the oldest girl and weigh 40 pounds less!

7. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

That is great news.
    Isn't it the responsibilities of the parents to be certain their children eat healthy meals? It certainly isn't the responsibility of the fast food industry.
    A friend of mine has a brother who grew up eating fast foods. He now weighs in at more than 600 pounds...and he's only 28 years old.
    It's not the fast food that's making people obese. It's their own laziness, and lack of discipline regarding their personal eating habits. Eat like a pig, look like a pig.

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Hey, there are lots of us who don't eat like pigs (hell I barely eat), and we're still piglike in size.

But I do see your point in the context of the guy you know and these girls. One of the girls admitted to regularly eating big macs for dinner. That's a no-no, especially when 1 bigmac has like 2k calories :eek: And this is common knowledge. When you walk into any fast food restaurant, they've got the nutritional information pamphlets there for you to take, they've also got the giant poster on the walls. Plus you can look it up anywhere in the web, which everyone has access to (public libraries), and they're constantly talking about this subject on tv and newspapers and magazines. For the father to say he believed the food was healthy for his children is him either being an asshole or he's really a complete idiot and should have the youngest child taken away from him for child endangerment.

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

We should sue all stupid people. :)

10. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Except that all of us, now and then, exhibit absolute stupidity over something.

Personally, I say we take the warning labels off of everything and let nature take its own course!

11. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

The real lesson here is that judges, who exhibit common sense, can reign in these frivolous lawsuits exploading across the country. I commend this judge for doing exactly that. If only more judges operated the same way.

12. Techie2000

It wouldn't look good to the international community naming our President as a defendant...:haha:

13. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

rofl Techie, you're gonna get spanked for that comment :thumbsup:

14. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Finally, some common sense!