1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

McAfee Total Protection + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Allene, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

Is the above combo overkill? I used to have the free Malwarebytes, but kept forgetting to update it, so I upgraded. Somewhere along the way, the upgraded Malwarebytes further morphed into what appears to be a full-fledged anti-virus program. I didn't realize that until today when I was loading it onto a new laptop. I have a license for three machines, which will be up for renewal in May. Is the current setup okay, or should I revert to the free version of Malwarebytes in May? I don't think McAfee catches everything.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

McAfee is crap. Stay with Malwarebytes.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks, Biker. I'll dump McAfee. It was my first anti-virus program back in 1988! Then it got so bad that I stayed away from it until last year.

4. Arc

Arc Full Member

McAfee, run, don't walk, away from it.

Allene likes this.
  5. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

It seems to me McAfee often comes bundled as an unwelcome passenger on other softwares, or I may have confused it with another program.

I have been running Norton Internet Security for years, with occasional scans from Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware.

I believe in having one active defense (not two which may fight each other) and then one or more additional passive defenses which scan only upon manual launching, in the theory they may catch something the main program missed.

Any opinions about Norton Internet Security? I have LifeLock also, which is owned by Norton.

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Quite honestly? Norton used to be good. Now, I find it to be bloated and not worth the money to install. The best I found was Bitdefender. The free version (when it worked on my machine) was excellent, had a small footprint and didn't impact performance at all. Unfortunately, it stopped updating itself and I ended up removing it from the machine. Still tempted to get the paid version and disabling Microsoft's Defender.

As I'm rarely in Winderz to begin with, it's not something I'm terribly worried about. Currently Malwarebytes combined with Windows Defender is fine as the only reason I boot into Winderz to begin with is to play games.

7. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

I haven't found a Linux desktop I like. I wouldn't mind my local machine running Debian Jessie just like my server.