1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marijuana Event

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by bruzzes, Dec 1, 2002.

1. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

http://www.ptd.net/webnews/wed/ba/Anetherlands-cannibis-festival.RoQF_CNU.html

HAARLEM, Netherlands (AP) -- The water pipe stood eight feet tall, encircled by people puffing on its 64 mouthpieces. Elsewhere in the room, a new machine rolled out 300 marijuana joints in minutes. Free hashish was passed around.

It was the start of the Hash and Weed Festival, which runs through Sunday. The aging pioneers of the Dutch marijuana culture, watched by hundreds of young aficionados, gathered in a gymnasium to mark the 30th anniversary of the first "coffee shop" that openly sold reefers like cups of coffee...

...The seeds of Dutch drug tolerance were planted in 1969 when two entrepreneurs with a taste for marijuana began selling cannabis plants from a houseboat, calling themselves the Lowlands Weed company...

...Holland now has more than 800 "coffee shops," found in 105 of the country's 500 cities and towns...

..."We have lasted 30 years despite criticism from around the world, particularly the United States, Sweden and France," said van Schaik, author of "The Dutch Experience," a book on the marijuana movement, released in conjunction with the 30th anniversary...

...The Dutch government passed groundbreaking legislation in 1976 that distinguished cannabis-based soft drugs from "hard drugs" such as heroine or cocaine. Cannabis was still officially illegal, but the possession of about 1 ounce was no longer to be prosecuted as a criminal offense...

...The liberal Dutch approach laid the foundation for a $3 billion economy, attracting millions of visitors each year and generating substantial tax income for the Dutch government.

Another related story here in the US:

http://www.ptd.net/webnews/wed/bv/Amedical-marijuana.Rpw1_CNT.html
    edit: added other URL

2. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Let's face it, we could certainly use another 3 billion dollar industry
    in Vermont! Anyone else's state want to turn down that kind of reveue?

One point I would like to bring up, how is it possible that these drugs
    are legal yet they have lower crime than we do? Could it be that "soft"
    drugs do not cause crime to increase?

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

-Ken, don't start agreeing with me before I post. Don't want to give an old man a heart attack, do you? Or do you......

4. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

I wouldn't support a pot industry in my state if the revenues were 10 times as much. Sin taxes are reaped from so called sinful activities such as smoking, drinking, and gambling. Without wholly selfish and unhealthy habits like those there is no revenue for the state. The state must encourage the demise of its citizens to keep the coffers full? The state should not be in the business of encouraging the demise of its citizens. There many ways for a person to self destruct besides the aformentioned nasty habits. Adding more "sins" is somehow better for the state and it's citizens?

5. ShinyTop

How do you equate your post with your signature, DRSLASH. What am I reading wrong? Is the tax all you are against, since your signature would indicate you may indulge in one of the sins you speak against?

6. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

If I recall the sin taxes are already heavily used in the process of our State governments.

7. drslash

You certainly can't compare drug crimes between the USA and the Netherlands now can you. Of course their drug crimes are lower, they aren't arresting pot possessers.

8. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

LOL!

Good one!!!

9. drslash

I think we've covered this before but if you have forgotten, I think my posting signature is funny and I do have a beer once in a while, which by the way is not all that unhealthy. I make my own choices about my health and encourage others to be health conscious. I did not specifically say that I want alcohol and tobacco taxes repealed but I did specifically say that I don't support marijuana legalization and the taxes that follow.

10. ShinyTop

My apologies, your post indicated to me that you were against sin taxes and the taxed sins. Obviously I was wrong.

11. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

The word "sin" has no business in determining our laws. Why is smoking cannabis a sin? Is it in the Bible somewhere? How is smoking tobacco a sin? Using that same logic, eating hamburgers and french fries is a sin too. So would you support outlawing those since they are bad for one's health? And let's not forget the drug that kills more people in this country than any other - alcohol.

I think there are valid arguments against the legalization of marijuana, but when the word "sin" is brought up, I'm afraid that is a dead end argument.

12. drslash

I used the term "sin taxes" because that is the common term for taxes on alcohol, tobacco, and gambling. I don't mean to attach the religious connotation using this term. I do, however, believe that excessive use of any substance whether it is food or alcohol or tobacco that is known to cause health problems is a sin.

13. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I guess "sin" is a word drslash whose meaning is unclear if you don't mean it in a religious sense. While I obviously get your drift here the precise way you intend it to be used is a bit vague.
    Semantics, shemantics??