1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

marijuana arrests

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by damonlab, Oct 29, 2002.

1. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

the total number of marijuana arrests far exceeds the total number of arrests for all violent crimes combined, including murder, manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault.
    http://www.marijuananews.com/news.php3?sid=587
    That is just sad. I wish cops went after murder, manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault more aggresively then they did for people smoking some ganja. The cops should get their priorities straight.

2. -Ken

-Ken Guest

A case of mistaken priorities?
    Could it be there is more money (for Law Enforcement) with drug arrests.

Thanks for the post.
    Just another indication of why the criminal justice system is overloaded
    and violent people are walking the streets.

Probably the fault of those damn liberals!

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Nah. This conservative agrees with you in this instance.

4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Isn't it always the damn liberals fault. :)

Seriously, I agree with you Ken. IMHO, law enforcement should concentrate on violent crimes and not waste time on people with a 1/4 bag of weed.

5. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

While I don't smoke marijuana(or anything else for that matter), I think it is very inconsistent for alcohol to be legal while marijuana is not. Alcohol kills more people and ruins more people's lives than any other drug.

Why aren't the feminists yelling, kicking and screaming that, "they should be allowed to do whatever they want with their own bodies?"

I'm not sure if I told the story here or not, but my partner was in a motorcycle accident last year, and he was in a world of pain when he finally got home - three surgeries later. We tried every pain medication we could get our hands on, but only marijuana made him feel comfortable. Forced to choose between having my partner, a grown man, lie awake all night long crying from pain, OR breaking a ridiculous law and getting him some pot to smoke was a no-brainer. Why is it that when people start talking about legalizing the stuff, staunch conservatives get visions of everyone smoking it while driving, giving it to their children and forcing all their friends to smoke it?

6. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

Many marijuana arrests are made in conjunction with a different situation. I don't remember ever hearing of an arrest being made of someone smoking pot in their home with no other reason given for the cops visit. I have heard of plenty of arrests in conjunction with traffic stops, raiding underage beer parties, public intoxication, other type of drug bust, emergency room admissions, etc. Criminals currently in prision show very high usage rates. So, naturally there are possession charges involved with may other types of crimes.
    <blockquote> Quote: According to a 1997 Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) survey of Federal and state prisoners approximately 19% of Federal and 13% of state drug offenders were incarcerated for a marijuana-related offense. The survey also measured prior drug use by prison inmates. Approximately 65% of Federal prisoners had tried marijuana/hashish, 47% had used it regularly, 30% used it in the month before their offense, and 11% used it at the time of their offense. In 1997 77% of State prisoners had tried marijuana/ hashish, 58% had used it regularly, 39% had used it in the month before their offense, and 15% had used it at the time of their offense.</blockquote>
    Are cops targeting simple possession arrests? I doubt it. Do they target suppliers and traffickers? Sure. Do they charge a person with possession when they are investigating something else and smell pot thus giving them probable cause? All the time.
    <blockquote> Quote: In FY 2000 the United States Sentencing Commission (USSC) reported that there were 7,295 Federal drug offenders sentenced in U.S. Courts for marijuana-related offenses. The majority of these offenders were convicted of drug trafficking (96.4%) and 2.8% were convicted of simple possession. </blockquote>
    I can't find the state statistics but I imagine they would be very similiar.

7. pupowski

pupowski Banned

Our drug laws are a greater trajedy than the drugs, both domesticly, and internationally. Pot is less pernicious than alcohol or cigarettes, which are merely "approved" drugs. The phoney failure called the war on drugs" was fueled originally by conservative resentment about losing the Vietnam War. They needed a "war" they could win, and war protestors were associated with street drugs, so Nixon launched the WOD.

It soon became a popular political tool throughout the country, particularly in the old south. Draconian drug laws and the death penalty powered the conservative Republicans to capture the deep south for the first time in a century. The neocons of today are built upon a foundation of bigotry, resentment, racial animosity, and unequal justice.

The prison building spree of the past 20 years is a prime example of justice gone awry. Half the prisoners in federal prisons are non-violent drug offendors, many there for a first offense under mandatory sentencing laws. Three strikes laws are another reactionary assault against justice and common sense by luddites pandering to public ignorance and fear. The USA prison population has risen steadily for over 20 years, while crime stayed flat or lower. We now incarcerate far more people per capita than any other modern nation. Only a few of the most repressive governments on Earth imprison more, or execute more. Rehabilitation, including job training , and drug treatment, has declined sharply, and the concept of an inmate having "paid his or her debt to society", is lost upon many politicians. In Washington State, for instance, anyone with two or more felony convictions is not eligible for State health care, regardless of what, when, why, or how long ago.

George Bush made his political career that way. His last year as governor of Texas, the state executed more people than the other 49 states combined, and more than all but China, Russia, and a few other repressive regimes. The Texas crime rate didn't drop when they filled their prisons, and the national crime rate has turned higher since he took office. Bush, as Governor, made fun of a condemned woman's plea for clemency by mimmicking her "please, please don't kill me". How odd that the leader of the war on drugs was a druggie and alcoholic himself, as are many members of the Bush family.

US drug policies are a cruel parody of equal justice, punishment that fits the crime, or, at times, any justice at all. Jesus forgave , but many so-called "Christian Conservative Politicians" are obsessed with punishment. Real christians and real conservatives should be able to see that our current policies are consistent with being neither.

8. drslash

This is the most bogus argument in favor of pot. The general non user population has a hard time with legalizing drugs that aren't too harmful...just a little harmful.
    This is a new one on me. Give me some more research about this and I might believe this. Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.
    Pup, feeling a bit paranoid today?
    These first time offenders are traffickers. First time possessors would never see the inside of a jail cell except maybe to get processed after arrest. Multiple repeat possessors may end up with jail time. The people doing the time are the traffickers.
    All I can say to that is: TOO BAD!! I'll give anyone a second chance but, after that they can go pound sand.
    Jesus Christ received capital punishment and forgave his executioners but accepted his punishment. The murderer crucified next to Jesus recognized Jesus as the Messiah and Jesus forgave him. Jesus did not commute his sentence of death but told the murderer that he would be in paradise today.

9. -Ken

-Ken Guest

On a somewhat related note, this is
    what the Supreme Court said today.

10. ethics

WOOT!

SUPERB NEWS!!!

Sorry for yelling. :)

11. drslash

This is a federal appeals court, not the supreme court. This is barely related to the extent that it comes from the U.S. 9th Circuit. We all know what this court has declared in the past, namely that the words "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance are unconstitutional. Hmm...speech not constitutional. Hmm...doctors recommending illegal drugs. While they are protected by the Constitution to say so, their medical license is not protected by the Constitution.

12. ethics

Come on, this is hardly comparison to the US Pledge. And just because the rulings came out of the same court does not mean that this is something that will be shot down automatically.

At least give us a day to celebrate? :)

13. drslash

Hey, I'm not altogether against medical marijuana. I have never used pot and am certainly not for legalization. If I needed or wanted it I would probably acquire it and use it, in my home with the shades drawn. Having said that, there are still many legal hurdles to overcome before doctors can freely recommend medical marijuana. I also agree that it will not automatically be shot down due to the court that the ruling came out of. I definitely take it with a grain of salt, though.

14. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

A doctor should not be kicked out of practice for somethin which in his or her professional medical opinion will help a patient. Just because a court decided to say the Pledge is unconstituational does not mean that it is a bad court. They had some good logic behind their arguement there.

15. drslash

Technically they can just lose their ability to write prescriptions not be kicked out of medical practice. What a doctor can do in his or her opinion is a matter of when it crosses a line of legality. A doctor could feel that in his or her best judgement that their patient would benefit by snorting cocaine. (I know its a stretch but I'm just making a point) The way laws are today the doctor may be breaking the law. So whether the medically recommended drug is cocaine, marijuana, or heroine the doctor can be punished for his or her actions.

With regards to the U.S. 9th circuit court, like I said before, I will take any ruling from them with a grain of salt.

16. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

The country needs a reality check on their drug laws. Marijuana laws are the third most divisive issue in the country today. And all studies, most other countries, and most people in this country know the solution.

17. pupowski

pupowski Banned

Not a bit, but some feel compelled to impugn the messenger when they don't like the message.

The Nixon tapes from 1971-1972 demonstrate that the foundation of the modern war on marijuana was Nixons prejudice, the culture war, and misinformation. Here are links to some relevant transcripts for your edification.
    http://www.csdp.org/research/nixonpot.txt

The link below is to the 1972 Shaffer Commission Report on marijuana commissioned by President Nixon, which recommended decriminalizing marijuana and a policy of control based on medical risk.
    http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/Library/studies/nc/ncmenu.htm

Nixon wanted his own security agency, beyond the control of the FBI, the CIA or other official government agencies, to investigate leaks, tap phones and gather intelligence on his internal and external opponents. G. Gordon Liddy came up with the idea that the best way to do this was to establish the agency under the cloak of the war on drugs? Nixon ordered John Ehrlichman and Egil Krogh to establish such a unit which was called the Office of Drug Abuse Law Enforcement. The Watergate conspirators known as "the plumbers" - Liddy and Krogh, were leading figures in the administration's drug war. Howard Hunt, was brought in from the CIA for the anti-narcotics agency. Krogh, the official co-ordinator of Nixon's war on drugs, was also the head of "the plumbers" who organised the Watergate break-in. Gordon Liddy, the most notorious of "the plumbers", was his assistant. Hunt was a consultant to the president's Council on the drug problem . Nixon's covert criminals and his drug warriors were essentially one and same. Details are from government records including testimony from the watergate investigation and hearings.