1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marc Andreessen on American Life

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Nov 5, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

One of those gems that speaks to me and about me. The interview starts off friendly and tepid enough but man does it turn in to force.

Questions on inequality, sexism in tech, Democratic process, libertarianism etc.

The man is a genius.

Marc Andreessen on Why Optimism Is Safest Bet -- NYMag

jimeez likes this.
  2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

That was really good. I disagree with him on a couple of points, but at best mildly.

But you, Ukie-Boy...I know you didn't understand half of what he was talking about, since you're still puzzled by delicatessens.

3. ethics

What are those things?

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Emphasis mine.

I don't buy that an education at a "big" university automatically gives you the tools to succeed in life any more than the teachings as a "small" university or college will hold you back. These things are decided by individual drive, ambition, willingness to endure discomfort and sacrifice in the present to secure a better tomorrow.

No...they're getting their cash from licensing and relicensing their intellectual property. Thankfully, we don't see James Patterson doing a lot of speaking engagements, because he's kind of nutty, a true member of the Old Guard. Of course, you see Joel Osteen doing a lot of public-facing activity, but not because he's an author--but because he's a shakedown artist.

Stuff like that.

Allene likes this.
  5. ethics

I meant the delicatessen. But that reply works too. ;)