1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail Truck Has Right of Way Over OTHER Emergency Vehicles?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Greg

Greg Full Member

lol @ andy :)
  2. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

I think around here it goes like this:
    1. Vehicles with red lights and priveledges to disregard the law. (police)
    2. Vehicles with red lights required to mostly obey the law. (ambulances, fire trucks, fire chiefs)
    3. Vehicles with blue lights required to obey the law. (volunteer firemen: we yield to blue lights as a courtesy)
    4. Vehicles with yellow lights required to mostly obey the law. (construction & slow movers. The yellow lights warn us that they might be lawfully blocking the whole road to paint a bridge or something).
    5. Everybody else.

I wonder if the mail vs fire truck rumor doesn't come from the Gangs of New York days when fire companies were self-serving private enterprise.
  3. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Eh, light color is a regional thing. Here in Ohio, red/white is reserved for fire/EMS. Red/blue, blue/white, all red, all blue are reserved for LE. Voly FF are accorded the same rights, privileges and responsibilities responding in their POVs as in apparatus.

Some places out west use blue on fire/EMS, too. In Cali, amber is used on LE vehicles. Weird, that. Of course in Ohio, out of all the categories of people who are allowed to use amber, you only have to yield to funerals. That helps us sooooo much. :rolleyes:
  4. Dewitt60

Dewitt60 Farming with technology

Our trucks are blue and red. The new led lights are very nice. When you stop they have a little tint of yellow. Volunteer fireman in Illinois are just drivers. A lot of folks pull over as a courtesy but it's not required. Our dept has a couple of Aholes the board has had to hammer because they think they're Starsky and Hutch. There's 2 major fire dept. insurers in play in our state and they're getting really pissy about covering personal vehicles for that reason. We've even had to hammer a few morons that drive the trucks. They have govenors on the motors but all will run around 65 miles an hour fully loaded, the squad(rescue) will run much faster. You don't put out any fires rolling a 50,000lb truck in the ditch or slamming into a semi.

As to the critters. In the state of Illinois it's your responsiblity to keep your critters in. I'm not aware of any open range counties unless it would be down south. You stand at the halfway point of the fence between you and your neighbor looking at your neighbors property.

Like that. Everything to your right is your responsiblity. Everything to your left is his. That'
    s the shared fencing law. If you border a state or county road it's all yours. If a critter gets onto the road it's your farm owner's liability coverage.
  5. Greg

Greg Full Member

If you mean California most of the law enforcement vehicles in Southern California have red/blue lights on top.

Another interesting innovation for LAPD is new, low profile roof lights, instead of big lights that stick up. The new lights are about only 3 inches thick and have high intensity lights that appear to emit just as much light as the old lights. The low profile lights are more difficult to spot in traffic behind you until they light up, so it's more difficult to know if there's a cop in traffic behind you. I like them because I'm the law abiding driver most of the time, pissed at all the scofflaws around me, so I'm not very likely to get a ticket while the people that annoy me are more likely to get nabbed.

But I digress...

Bob probably got his idea from not having visited CA since they changed the lights. I like the blue lights because they stick out even better than the old red lights. It's good to have emergency vehicles stick out, get plenty of warning to yield or avoid.
  6. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Eh, I thought amber was still part of the Cali lighting requirements. I still see vendors talking about "California standards compliant" lights, and those products have an amber component somewhere.

Low profile LED is the wave of the future LH, in part for just the reasons you mention: they don't stick out as much. Not that it's easier to hide, but the lower profile saves drag on the car, which saves gas. Plus, LED lights draw SO much less power from the vehicle; they can be left on for hours and not kill the battery.
  7. Greg

Greg Full Member

I didn't know they were LEDs.

I'll have to check into my facts. I believe actually there are different bars not only depending on the agency but also some are newly acquired low profile light bars, while older vehicles still have older bars. As far as I can remember the only colors projecting to the front of the car are either blue or red or both. And as far as I know they are all amber facing to behind. I could be wrong though. I try to be wrong at least once a day so that people don't think I'm super human. :)
  8. Dewitt60

Those are LED Hound.
  9. Stonehawk

Stonehawk AKA Jerry

Amber lighting to the rear is required for all emergency vehicles based on federal MUTCG guidelines and NFPA 1901 (Standard for Automotive Fire Apparatus). A single amber light suffices, but many jurisdictions add an amber light bar for extra lighting.

Stay safe,

10. Greg

Greg Full Member

Perhaps you mistakenly thought I was disputing your statement. I was not quarreling your veracity. I've never been close enough to one to have any personal observation, mainly because I'm a law abiding citizen. :)
  11. Dewitt60

O no I didn't take it that way at all. We just got cornfused in the timing of the posts. The other reason fire depts are switching is new trucks are much taller. Out here in the sticks the newer trucks with the old style light bars wouldn't fit in the station house. Sounds silly but it's true.