1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Love, American Style

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Paladin, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Gun -- Will Travel

Link is likely only good for today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/06/opinion/06KRIS.html?todaysheadlines

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Love and Race
    By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

In a world brimming with bad news, here's one of the happiest trends: Instead of preying on people of different races, young Americans are falling in love with them.

Whites and blacks can be found strolling together as couples even at the University of Mississippi, once the symbol of racial confrontation.

"I will say that they are always given a second glance," acknowledges C. J. Rhodes, a black student at Ole Miss. He adds that there are still misgivings about interracial dating, particularly among black women and a formidable number of "white Southerners who view this race-mixing as abnormal, frozen by fear to see Sara Beth bring home a brotha."

Mixed-race marriages in the U.S. now number 1.5 million and are roughly doubling each decade. About 40 percent of Asian-Americans and 6 percent of blacks have married whites in recent years.
    For centuries, racists warned that racial equality would lead to the "mongrelization" of America. Perhaps they were right in a sense, for we're increasingly going to see a blurring of racial distinctions. But these distinctions acquired enormous social resonance without ever having much basis in biology.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I remember when a German-American marrying an Italian-American was frowned upon.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Soon, people will need something else to focus on, instead of race. There will be so many MUTTS out there that race will be the thing of the past.

3. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Thank you Pallidan for the link to a wonderful article.

It is encouraging to me that albeit slowly we are moving onward to the assimilation of mankind.

The story reflects much within my personal family.
    I have black members on both sides of my families.
    One niece of mine is currently enrolled in Harvard, while my step-grandchild resides at home with my wife and myself.

I have hill-billies on one side, who I love dearly, [they are proud to call themselves that...] a downs-syndrome relation and a deceased Gay member who once was a highly placed Intelligence Officer on China. Two sisters who are teachers, and a World renown Composer for a brother.

When together, we could always start our own society!

It is amazing to me to have such a mix in one family.

I have more interesting relatives but cannot reveal their occupation. [Top Secret]

Much of what I say is mirrored in my many responses and posts here and at the DSL site.

I am quite grateful that the experiences I have learned has given me a more rounded perspective on society.

Thanks Pallidan....

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Re: Re: Love, American Style

Yeah well, about 35% of those Asian/White marriages are AFs and WMs, which has Asian Males in this country wrapped around the axle. ;)

But so long as they're generally smaller than I am, I'm cool wif dat.

SM