1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lord of the Rings -- ONLINE

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by ethics, Apr 14, 2007.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

That's basically what we are all doing right now. Trying to see if the investment down the road is worth it.

2. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I dickered with firewall settings some more and had a nice, stable session. My ZyXel Zywall 2x is a little more obtuse than the more consumer-friendly brand names, but I think I opened all of the required ports properly.

I added all of the names mentioned her to my friends' list.

3. Stonehawk

Stonehawk AKA Jerry

Stonehawk as a Elf loremaster on Brandywine, up to level 6....

Good game, very in-depth, great graphics....may get it going for the little time I can spare for gaming...my WoW account is going down in flames due to lack of time, and growing boredom :)

Jerry

4. SixofNine

5. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I hear the call........

I'll check out the demo, if only to know what I'm missing later. No way to afford the game or monthly fees, but I've been wanting to check out a good MMORPG, and this looks good, and it's free now....

6. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Ok, I'm downloading it....dammit....

7. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Anyone still playing DnDO? I hardly play it and willl probably cancel my sub.

8. cmhbob

Damn - Founder's pricing is sooooo tempting. I just can't swing $200 right now.

9. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Heh, looks like they took a page out of Blizz's book. Download a 4 GB install and then once you launch the game, they then pass you patches and content update before you can play. :/

10. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Yup, I don't have it installed yet, but that's the way Dungeons and Dragons Online works.

11. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

The graphics are stunning and while I've only played a few minutes, I'll definitely be back on tomorrow eveining.

Findhagen, Human Captain.

12. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Looking at the options it looks like they borrowed a page from DDO and integrated voicechat so no need for Vent or Teamspeak. This was an awesome aspect of DDO. Everyone had voice chat, no excuses.

13. SixofNine

Looks like I have a lot of company with the technical issues I'm encountering. With WoW as a fallback I'm not going to go the "Reformat your hard drive bit by bit with your fingernails" route.

Some players point out that things worked fine for them until the most recent patch.

14. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sounds to me Seid like the exact same things that happened at first with me and the last Turbine game I did, DDO.

Lots of video problems, unexplained lag/disconnects etc.

What I eventually chalked it up to back then was they didn't write things too well for Nvidia drivers, always had to revert to some year+ old version to make it work.

I'm completely interested in what I've seen just here on the forums, but I''ll wait till you beta testers iron out all the bugs. :p

Hopefully by then I'll have my Pally to 70 anyways. :lol:

15. cmhbob

Grrr....

I started the download last night, and went to bed, at about 28%.

Power blinked last night. :banghead:

I'm searching the hard drive right now to see if there's a huge file somewhere.

(Man, but I've got some big files here and there!)

16. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I hooked my lappy up to my office DSL (3000/768) and the download is still crawling along. I'm at 59% done and it's showing another 41 hours to go with speeds as low as 11-12 k/sec! What the hell is wrong with their servers? Any of you guys getting dial up speeds on a broadband connection for the download?

Edit: seems to have improved to 35k/sec. At this rate I'll be done sometime tomorrow... :)

17. cmhbob

I tried re-running the NVidia setup thing, and found out it took me a couple or three hours, and I got everything fine last night.

18. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

I downloaded late last night (Sunday). It only took two hours with my 3Mbs cable connection. I didn't take note of my actual download speed.

I started it on my desktop and laptop and went to bed.

19. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I figured it out and I'm not a happy camper. It was downloading so slow I popped over to DSLR and ran some speed tests, all my computers are averaging about 120/700 speeds. Upload is about what I expect but the download is sucking big time. After about an hour on the phone with ISP tech, I have a trouble ticket opened, but I'm fairly sure the modem needs to be swapped out.

20. SixofNine

I had an error-free session after trying a few more of the advised fixes and something appears to have worked. I'll remain cautious, as some players haver reported two or three days of error-free gaming before seeing their disconnect problems return.