1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looks like Jordan's onboard

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by saber11, Jan 30, 2003.

1. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

Copied from www.msnbc.com

AMMAN, Jordan, Jan. 30 Jordan has decided to allow the discreet stationing of U.S. troops here to man air defenses, the launch of search-and-rescue missions from its airfields and the passage of allied planes across its airspace in any war with neighboring Iraq, according to Jordanian officials and diplomats.

I am glad to see Jordan stepping up to the plate. I was worried after King Huessain died, they would be too afraid to stand up to Saddam, or get in a position of choosing sides.

Didn't Jordan sit out the last gulf war?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Not only. They refused us the use of their territory. I kinda saw this coming, only because I have an informant in Omar. ;)

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Look whio else is waffling and sort of leaning toward us:

PUTIN: RUSSIA MIGHT 'CHANGE ITS POSITION' ON IRAQ Speaking to
    journalists in Kyiv on 28 January, President Vladimir Putin said
    Russia might change its long-standing opposition to military action
    against Iraqi President Saddam Hussein if Baghdad hinders UN weapons inspectors, Russian and Western news agencies reported. "If Iraq resists inspections or makes difficulties for inspectors, I cannot exclude that Russia might change its position," Putin said. "We will work together with the other permanent members of the UN Security Council, including the United States, on new resolutions...much tougher than the existing ones." Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov, who said the same day that Moscow will not alter its position on Iraq, was probably unaware of Putin's position, rusenergy.ru commented. VY

From: RFE/RL NEWSLINE Vol. 7, No. 19, Part I, 30 January 2003

4. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Re: Re: Looks like Jordan's onboard

They were right to do so considering their reaons and place on the world stage and more specifically in the ME. It was understandable and we privately supported their decision.

King Hussein was a great man.

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I suspect if Russia changes its position it will be because France and Germany are aligning. If they had thought to include Russia they might have guaranteed Russia's future position.

6. Domh

Domh Full Member

As I keep saying, ducks getting in line.

I loved the report I heard this morning about the US possibly setting up a small airbase in northern Iraq.

Man, thats gotta piss a despot off somethin' serious.

7. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Other than <i> perhaps</i> the Palestinians, Hamas, and Hezbollah, et. al, I can't think of anyone in foreign governments that don't want Saddam out.--especially the ME leaders.

But they all have conflicting interests and political hoops they must jump through or deal with before officially "coming on board."

This is all just a play and each player must act their lines before we get to the end of the last act.

Virtually all of those who are now or have been opposing us will eventually come on board. Those who do not in most cases will be privately wishing us well while publicly supporting us. Again they have a role to play.

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I don't think Russia's approval was ever really in question. Aligning with the U.S. is really in their best long term economic interest. What will happen after this action is prosecuted is a long term cooling of relations between the U.S. and France and Germany. I think Russia's known this all along and has intended to move along the lines of what's in their best long term interest.

9. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

I strongly agree.

10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I agree about Russia's long term interests but the same can be said about Germany and France. I think that if G & F had played to the Russian ego and stroked it while asking them to join in opposition to our Iraq policy they may have joined them. Russia wants badly to be considered a world player again and will go far to achieve that aim.