1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking For A Bulk Firmware USB Installer

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by MemphisMark, Feb 22, 2015.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Back in the 80's, when I dealt with cryptographic equipment in the Navy, we used a paper tape and reader that we would attach to the crypto equipment. However, when you had to use the same tape 50 times (because there were 50 units) the paper invariably became worn out and/or tore, rendering it unusable. You only got one, so...

Then we received a "keyholder" (I forget the actual name we used) to help out. About the size of a pack of cigarettes, you would use the paper tape once, to download the codes (up to 6) into the keyloader where it was stored on a chip. You could then hook this keyholder up to the equipment, press a button and instantly download the key into the proper machine an unlimited number of times.

I am looking for something like that now. One of the first things we do in the function and QC checks for the printers after they are assembled is we download the current firmware for it into the main board in the printer. Right now, we are using the bosses' laptop, however if she is out/away and the machine locks, the process halts until she gets back.

I am looking for a small device, you give it the necessary firmware, hook it to the machine (via type B USB connector), hit a button and it downloads the firmware.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Purchase thumb drive.
    Purchase USB Hub.
    Purchase Type A male to Type B male cable.
    Win.

3. MemphisMark

Thanks, but that won't work. This is not just a copy file operation. You are installing firmware on a proprietary electronics board. There is no OS on the receiving end to perform the operation.

I need a box that can download open source firmware by the touch of a button, without all of the extraneous peripherals of a regular computer (display, keyboard, etc.) I'm looking to load the files to be copied by USB or SD card, hook it to the printer, hit a button and then disconnect and move to the next system.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

No such thing available to the general public.

5. MemphisMark

Crap. :verymad-27::verymad-27::verymad-27::verymad-27::verymad-27:

It amazes me that this doesn't exist. Maybe it does exist, but is used for nefarious purposes by people with bad intent.